Missing track for "Highballer" set

Started by cteska, March 10, 2012, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cteska

I own a Bachmann Highballer set that is 30 years old and has only been used once. I'll be retiring soon and want to set it up for my grandchildren but some of the track is missing. The straight sections of track are there but the curve sections are gone and so is the section that the power wires connect to as well. I have searched on the internet but I do not know the correct term when looking for the track to hook up the power to (the one piece of track the wires leading from transformer plugs into) so I could use some help. Also...I have no idea how many curve sections should be there. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

jward

the track which gets the power is called a terminal track.

with 18" radius curves, 12 make a circle. with 22" radius, 16 make a circle.

older train sets do not use track with roadbed like ez track. track wthout roadbed is still made by atlas. or you could invest in a set of ez track. the advantage of ez track and other similar track is that if you are going to be setting up the train and taking it down regularly, the roadbed type track stays together better than the traditional track. but the traditioinal track is perfectly fine if you want to permanently fasten it to a table.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

ct-

You can use any brand of track but it will be easiest to use all the same brand if you have track with the roadbed attached. Different brands use different connectors on their roadbed but all track connects the same way, with rail joiners. If you select Bachmann EZTrack (roadbed attached) use the gray roadbed with nickel-silver rails. You'll have better electrical pick-up and no rust to deal with.

Attached roadbed track will work much, much better for a layout which must be disassembled between operating sessions or which will sit directly on the floor. Non-attached roadbed track is basically doomed to failure on carpet and, IMHO, isn't even a good solution for track on a table unless it is fastened down. Just the moving trains can cause track misalignments or separations in sectional track which has no roadbed and is otherwise loose on its supporting surface. That can make for truly frustrating model railroading.

The best set-up is track with roadbed (attached or not) which is permanently attached to a stiff, flat surface. That can be a train table, hollow door, cookie cutter subroadbed or any other surface which will support the track while prohibiting disconnections and flexation. The next best choice is attached roadbed sectional track. Good luck with your model railroad!
                                                                   -- D