News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rolling Stock Behavior

Started by mlt1, July 23, 2007, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlt1

One of the cars in my Bachmann Ben Franklin Ltd rolling stock wobbles from side to side as it goes down the track.  The side to side frequency is proportional to the loco speed, and happens all the time, not only at track section joints.  Coudl this be eccentric wheels?  One car is noticeable the others seem okay.  Any thoughts?   ???

Thanks.

mlt1

bnsfan

one of my bachmann covered smooth side cement hoppers do that as well, i find that if i put it at the back of my train, then it no longer does this, i can never figure out why or how it wobbles though

hope this helps

bnsfan

mlt1

Thanks, bnsfan.  I'll give it a try.  It does sound odd, though, I agree.

mlt1

SteamGene

Try putting a Kaydee washer between the truck and the head of the screw.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

mlt1

Gene,

What's a Kaydee washer?   ???

mlt1

Craig

Gene meant to type "Kadee" and he's referring to the fiber washers used for truck spacing/coupler height adjustment. Kadee offers at least two thicknesses. Placing a washer between the truck and bolster will shim the truck and eliminate some slack.

Craig

GN.2-6-8-0

Or if the truck is screw mounted try tighting the screw on the trucks until they swivel freely but do not rock.
Rocky Lives

Jim Banner

With the car upside down, spin the wheels.  See if one is out of round or wobbles.  If so, replace it with a new wheel set (wheel + axle + wheel.)  If that is no help, replace the truck too.

Incidentally, I have seen full size cylindrical hoppers do this.  In one case, it was so bad that it was shaking both the preceeding and following hoppers too.  I contacted a friend in the car department who then contacted the dispatcher who in turn contacted the train crew to drop the offending car at the next siding.  You have to love cell phones.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Craig,
Sorry about the typo.  However, I didn't say put the washer between the truck and the bolster.  Put it between the truck and the screw head.  This doesn't change the coupler height, but can draw the carbody to rest flat on the truck.  It doesn't always work, but I've corrected some wobblers that way.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

mlt1

Thanks, everyone.

Jim, I did that very thing before signing on to the forum tonight.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed one axle was slightly bent, and another had an eccentric wheel.

Anyone,
Are wheel & axle sets universal or standard, or do I have to buy replacements with some specification?

Thanks,

mlt1

Mike

A  little "for what it is worth" information- In the 1:1 railroading world, with many covered hoppers, there is a restriction on running the cars at a sustained speed of something like 13 to 21 mph (I don't remember the exact speed). it seems that in that speed range, a harmonic is set up which can cause rocking to the point of derailment. ... talk about "art imitating life"!- MikeS.

mlt1

Can someone respond to my question about wheel/axle buying above?

Thanks.   :)

mlt1

Hunt

Quote from: mlt1 on July 24, 2007, 08:10:29 PM
Are wheel & axle sets universal or standard, or do I have to buy replacements with some specification?

Thanks,

mlt1
Wheel set need to know
  Wheel diameter
  Axle length
  Single or double insulated

Take the measurements from the one removed.

Some more info in http://www.reboxx.com/wheelsets.htm