Hey Mr. Bach-man! or anyone else who can help

Started by hudson488, March 16, 2012, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson488

I've got an older style 0-6-0, the rear drive wheel has the gear on it, that recently broke, ya'll don't carry that style of drivers anymore, so what can i do about getting a new set of drivers, is it possible i rearrange the drive wheels? but i assume that would also present a problem with the size of the gear?
                                                          thanks hudson488

rogertra

It's sounds like it's an older, pre-Spectrum era model, then it's probably not worth the cost of repairing and, as you state,  parts not available anymore.

The pre-Spectrum era models were not that well made and were made for very cheap trainsets.

Sad but true.

hudson488

thanks, yes i understand, that's one more engine for the parts drawer, thanks again
hudson488

ebtnut

Your other option would be to go to a couple of the big train shows (assuming one is somewhere close) and look for "junker" models that you can salvage the parts from.  Might cost a couple of bucks, but you might get the loco back on the road.

rogertra

Quote from: hudson488 on March 16, 2012, 04:08:28 PM
thanks, yes i understand, that's one more engine for the parts drawer, thanks again
hudson488

I actually cruise hobby shows looking for suitable basket cases to use on the "dead/retired line" at the roundhouse.  I model 1958 and at that time practically every roundhouse had a "dead line" that was used to store retired steam before they were towed away for scrap.

I weather the locos to show signs of dead storage, add and remove details from the models.  I remove main rods and even coupling rods, may remove the bell or headlight or backup lights, air pumps may be removed as well showing  the loco prepared for towing or being used to salvage parts from.  I frequently board over cab windows or break one or two panes of window glass, put caps on stacks etc., and generally give some the stored engines that rundown and abandoned look.  But one may show every sign of being steamable but no, it's dead.

I also remove electric motors so that I have a rolling chassis.  Every once in a while, for fun, I'd add an extra to the operating session and have a few dead in tow steamers hauled away as an extra.  Live locomotive, dead engine, freight car, dead engine, freight car, dead engine and caboose.  Freight cars to spread the weight over en route bridges and to provide braking power as most dead steam would have had inoperable brakes.

This is just one use for older engines that don't meet today's higher levels of detail or running characteristics, useful for both steam and diesel.

blwfish

Hmm... that idea works for earlier than 1958, too, although to a lesser extent. And, I guess, also to later eras. Now that you mention it I have lots of pics of dead lines from Huntington, Roanoke and Binghamton. Numbers painted out or lined out, bells removed, stacks capped, etc. In 1986 I went by the ex-VGN yard in Roanoke and they had at least 60 GP-7/9, T-6, SD-24, C630/628 and maybe GP-18 in three long lines.

As far as the OP's 0-6-0, I have to agree that it's beyond repair unless you can find a donor loco.

blf

I would try NWSL.com to see if they have a replacement for your gear. Bill