News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PARTS for OLD Steam Locos

Started by Mapstone, March 27, 2012, 08:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapstone

Where can I find the DRIVER COUPLING for the old 4-8-4? This is a polyethene coupling that joins the drivers. It fails due to age and destroys the loco.

Mapstone

electrical whiz kid

I am not too familiar with the 4-8-4, but you might consider up-grading or modification to brass and/or poly fittings if this rig is starting to boogey badly..  Hobbytown of Boston would be a good starting point for some good-quality drive parts.
Rich

rogertra

Quote from: Mapstone on March 27, 2012, 08:58:17 AM
Where can I find the DRIVER COUPLING for the old 4-8-4? This is a polyethene coupling that joins the drivers. It fails due to age and destroys the loco.

What do you mean by "DRIVER COUPLING"?

There's no such thing on a model locomotive.  Are you perhaps referring to one of the gears that transmits power from the motor to the driving axle?

Doneldon

Quote from: Mapstone on March 27, 2012, 08:58:17 AM

Mapstone-

Or do you mean the plastic connection between the motor shaft and the gear box/drive train?

-- D

JRG1951

I believe he is referring to the axle connections between the drivers. The older Bachmann 4-8-4s have a plastic insert that hold the split drivers together and allows pickup from both sides of a split chassis. These will get weak with age and break. The result will allow the drive rod to not be aligned in a straight row. I have seen a few times when a modeller has used the non-plastic type of lubrication and it has damaged the inserts. All of the old split frame Northerns have these inserts. I am not sure if the sidewinder motored engine's inserts are interchangeable with the newer can motor split frame models. Bachmann used to list and sell a complete driver set, when the engines were current production.

I have moved a can motor Niagara frame to a sidewinder motor Santa Fe engine and valve gear with little problem. The mounting holes align and the cylinders and valve gear fit. I believe that all the old 4-8-4 can motor frames were the same. I buy old engines for parts to keep mine running
Regards,
John Green