News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC sound for 80999 Forney

Started by jcd356b, March 26, 2012, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcd356b

Looking for a good DC sound board for a Large Scale Forney, Something easy to install.  Suggestions?
Thanks

the Bach-man

Kevin Strong

I didn't think Soundtraxx's sound stuff was compatible with straight DC operation. Their web site claims it is, but "really shines" with DCC. I looked at their supporting documentation, and didn't see anything on using it in a DC environment. I've not heard of anyone using it in that environment, so I'd love to hear about folks who do. It'd be another tool in the toolbox.

Soundtraxx's old "Sierra" sound boards are analog DC compatible, and you can still find them on ebay fairly regularly. Don't pay more than $150 for them, though. The Phoenix boards aren't that much more expensive at that point and are light-years ahead in terms of functionality and sound quality. They went out of production nearly 10 years ago... They sound good, but aren't very customizable.

Phoenix is the "gold standard" sound system. You'd want their PB11 which is their analog DC compatible board. Their P8 board can be used with DCC or other command control systems (Revolution, RCS, Airwire, etc.) With the computer interface, you can really tweak these boards to respond very prototypically to changes in speed. You can also download and change out sounds at will. Quality has a price, and for the PB11, you're looking at $210 - $250 or so.

Middle of the road would be Dallee. The sound is okay, but the chuff drops out when the whistle or bell sounds. Whether that's important to you is up to you. It's not that noticeable on the whistle to me, but it is on the bell to me.

If you're on a budget, and want a good sound at a good price, look at MyLocoSound. Theirs is an analog sound board (the others are digital recordings of the prototype), but it's pretty solid as analog recordings go. The bell leaves a bit to be desired, but I've yet to hear an analog bell that doesn't. (Heck, even some of our 1:1 light-rail vehicles use electronic bells, and they sound horrid!)

Note that for track powered sound, you're going to need some kind of back-up battery to keep the sound going at low voltages. Not a big deal, but you'll need to find a spot for the battery when doing the installation.

Later,

K

S

jcd356b

Thanks for the info guys.  Are any of these systems ready to plug into the Forney without modification, or with minimum modification?  As I am new to this, the simpler the better.

Kevin Strong

Not "plug-and-play," but if the Forney comes with the same plug-in board with all the purple and green wires hanging from it that the Climax comes with, you should be able to hook it up fairly simply using that interface board. (Bachmann, does the Forney come with that board, or does parts stock it if not?)

If you want a true "plug-and-play" sound system, you can wait "4 to 6 weeks" for the new QSI Titan board to come out. It's a DCC board that's analog DC compatible. Note that this particular board has been "4 to 6 weeks" out for nearly the past year, which is why I didn't mention it above. (You may be able to find an older QSI "Magnum" board on ebay, but with the Titan's interminable delays, they get snatched up fairly quickly by QSI DCC devotees. It ain't worth getting into a bidding war for one.)

Later,

K

Jon D. Miller

The Bachmann 1:20.3 Spectrum Forney has the Plug & Play socket.

This is a picture of the Bachmann socket mounted in the tender of the Forney.  I've installed a RCS plug & play.  Works great.

Easy to install a Phoenix sound system.  It will be a little tight in the tender but it could be done.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)