Bachmann Engine and Cars That Work On 15" R EZ TRackage?

Started by WildMan, March 26, 2012, 02:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildMan

Because of space factors, I need to work with a "dogbone" layout pattern using the EZ Track 15" Curves.  Can anyone recommend which Bachmann Engines (steam or diesel) as well as cars work well with such a tight radii?  Thanks!

Johnson Bar Jeff

I probably shouldn't say this on the Bachmann web site, but you do realize, don't you, that you aren't restricted to using Bachmann engines and cars on Bachmann EZ Track? I apologize if that question sounds rude or condescending, but right now in my own HO model railroading I'm exclusively using Bachmann EZ Track, and I have more rolling stock by other manufacturers than I do by Bachmann that I run on a loop with 15"-radius curves.

Any freight cars by any manufacturer up to 40 scale feet long should work OK on 15"-radius curves. "F unit"-type four-axle diesels should also run on 15R curves. As for steam locomotives, the small Bachmann old-time 4-4-0s should run on 15R curves, as should the old-timers by IHC or Rivarossi (they come up on eBay quite frequently). An 0-4-0 steam switch engine should also run on that tight a curve; an 0-6-0 might, or it might not, depending on the engine.

Bachmann's old-time passenger cars (also come up regularly on eBay) will also operate on 15R curves, as will "shorty" old-time passenger cars by other manufacturers. I would stay away from modern passenger cars. I recently discovered to my delight that my "vintage" Tyco streamliners will run on 15R curves, but they overhang quite a lot on the curves (but they do stay coupled together and they do run).

I guess I'm not much help on specifically Bachmann rolling stock, but I hope I've been some help anyway. Others may try to warn you away from the 15R curves, but I understand your space considerations because I have them, too.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The Spectrum 0-6-0 Saddle Tank would. I have had the Spectrum 4-6-0 (63" Driver version) and 2-8-0 (Spectrum era dcc on board version) down to roughly a 15" radius turn. As far as rolling stock, I have run Athearn (non-Genesis) coaches on the same flex-track roughly 15" radius curve as the 2-8-0 and 4-6-0. Roundhouse passenger cars (both old time 34' and 50' or more modern Arched roof) would work too. I would also recommend box cars between 36'-40' as well as 24'-36' hopper cars such as the new Athearn 24' ore cars or Athearn 26' ore cars or up to 36' coal cars. The size of the car you choose should be based off of the size of the layout when finished. Smaller layout+smaller cars and engines=more space for engines and cars. Also smaller diesels will work well like for example the new Bachmann ALCO S4 or FA-2 or a nice GP-7, GP-9 and so on up to a GP40.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on March 26, 2012, 05:01:52 PM
Smaller layout+smaller cars and engines=more space for engines and cars.

Wise words. Plus, I think it's a matter of proportion. A shorter train with small engine and small cars doesn't look out of proportion to the layout.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Exactly my point. It's all about how the size of the train looks compared to the size of the layout. I myself am working with a modest 4' X 8.5' oval layout. I tend to run shorter, museum type, passenger trains but longer, "branch-line" type freight trains, with anywhere from a modern GP-40 all the way to a modest 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 up to a good-sized Southern Pacific GS-4 class 4-8-4 and C&O style 2-8-4 Berk. Again, it depends on how much running space (how much mainline you have) you have on the layout compared to how long you want your train to be and what you want for trains. "Museum" trains will be shorter and move slower and have a smaller engine at the front, while "mainline" trains will be longer and faster with a larger locomotive on the point (front for those who don't know railroad lingo). I myself run a mix of both. I have a two track layout and run "mainline" trains or "branch-line" trains on the outer main and "museum" length trains on the inner main.

WildMan

Thanks for all the replies.  I wrote up a list of all the choices I have based on your recommendations.  Bachmann makes some really nice pieces but, no, I wouldn't limit myself to strictly what that company makes.  However, I do like the large variety of EZ Track that is available and thus was going to stick with that brand.  This is a terrific forum.  Many thanks, again, to all of you.
Peter

MilwaukeeRoadfan261