News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Northerns

Started by raym64, March 22, 2012, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raym64

What is the primary difference between the Bachmann Plus Northerns and the Spectrum Northerns?

bobwrgt

The new 4-8-4 Northern  I don't think is a Spectrum but in the regular line. The new one is DCC equipped. Duel mode Dc/Dcc. No more split frame chaise. Has a led headlight. Tender to engine has a wire harness and wheels on tender pickup power.
Better for dirty track and going thru switches. Uses copper electrical strips to get power from the loco wheels and not the frame.
The new ones runs much, much, much better than the old or plus model.

Bob

JRP

Hello.  I have the Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern....the second 4-8-4 locomotive that Bachmann just shipped me last year after the first one (purchased Feb 2008) had a series of issues including staying on the track.  This 2nd unit runs slightly better, but only after I changed decoders to a Tsunami Heavy Steam and clipped the capacitor across the motor circuit that effects the speed curve when using a quiet drive decoder (this was highly recommended from several owners on the Model Railroad Forum who also own the same 4-8-4). 

But I still can't get the locomotive to run "smoothly" at slow speeds.  It tends to "jerk" when it is slowly moving, and on clean track (I am a stickler for clean track).   It was doing this before I cut the capacitor.  I have read other folks messages with the same issue.  QUESTION:  is there a way to correct this or at least reduce the jerky movement?   Would I have to take the entire motor assembly apart ?(I hope not).  Any suggestions you have are welcome except sending this back (2 times is enough).   PS.....the sound is wonderful with the Tsuname.

Thanks.   

JRP