Factory run by steam locomotive.

Started by richg, April 12, 2012, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Some here probably have a steamer that does not run very well. This could put it to use on a siding next to a factory.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/06/25/use-locomotive-to-run-factory/

Rich

richg

I have a photo of a series of maybe six 4-4-0 locos on a siding with a pipe coming out of each steam dome, and down to a manifold along the locos near the ground. The pipe feeds steam to a large water pump which shoots a powerful stream of water that is used to wash out  a hill made mostly of sand to keep the building the main line. I cannot post the picture though. Some railroads used steam from the loco for a pile driver, rotary snow blower.

Rich

phillyreading

Years ago Pennsylvania Power and Light used steam locomotives to power some of their steam turbins at one of their power plants in central PA near Harrisburg. So seeing steam engines providing power to a building used to be a common practice for a few years, out of date for today.

Lee F.

glennk28

not an uncommon situation--often a steam loco was presssed into service for temporary steam supply--I was just reading an article in the SP Trainline that mentioned sevewral so used in the Imperial Valley of Calif.  in the 40's snd 50's.  gj