News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender Capacity

Started by gmcrail, April 17, 2012, 11:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmcrail

What are the tender capacities (tons, gallons) of the prototypes of the Baldwin 2-8-0 and the Spectrum Light and Heavy 4-8-2?  I would like to make decals for them for my fleet.

Thanks!

Gary M. Collins
============================================
I love the smell of coal smoke and hot valve oil in the morning!
============================================
gmcrailg@gmail.com

Doneldon

Gary-

Tender capacities vary greatly depending on the locomotive, the availability
fuel and water along the right-of-way and the urgency of a train as determined
by its railroad. Sometimes you see huge locomotives with small tenders or
medium size steamers with giant trailers.
                                                               -- D

Pacific Northern

Good point, that is why Canadian steam engines usually have small tenders in comparison to their USA counterparts.

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_153/f_06487.gif

What a monster
Pacific Northern

gmcrail

Thanks, guys, but this I know already.  I'm looking for the capacities of the specific prototype of the tender on the Spectrum engines.

Gary

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on April 18, 2012, 01:56:03 PM
Good point, that is why Canadian steam engines usually have small tenders in comparison to their USA counterparts.

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_153/f_06487.gif

What a monster

Which is why my Canadian freelanced GER steam had kitbashed tenders to shorten many of them to make them more a typically Canadian length.

Doneldon

Quote from: gmcrail on April 20, 2012, 12:18:08 AM
I'm looking for the capacities of the specific prototype of the tender on the Spectrum engines.

Gary-

I don't know about this tender explicitly, but lots of Bachmann (and other manufacturers) rolling stock is of a generalized, "average," non-specific prototype nature, meaning there wasn't a single prorotype used for the model. Rather, the intent of such models is to capture the feel or the impression of an item, not duplicate a specific example miniature.
                                                            -- D

Doneldon

Quote from: florynow on April 20, 2012, 05:07:24 PM
My Bachmann 2-8-0 ATSF 2-8-0 No. 2528 had the capacities stenciled on the rear of the tender.
Paul-

This may be what Bachmann stenciled on your ATSF tender (I thought you didn't like "train set" railroads) but that isn't what the OP asked. He asked for the prototype's specs. That may or may not be what those specs were, and that's still presuming there was an actual prototype. I don't believe that has been established yet.
                            -- D