News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

newbie on DCC

Started by kokwailam, April 30, 2012, 01:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokwailam

Hi

Good day. Is it true that if I want to set up my first DCC train system, I only need to purchase the E-Z command controller and plug it in the tracks, and thats all i need? No need to run any wiring whatsover? It sounded too good to be true. I must say I am truly excited on getting my first system set up so easily.

Please advise, thank you.

Best regards
Kok Wai

jward

basically, yes that's what you do.

but.....

your locomotives need to be dcc equipped not dcc ready. they must have decoders in them to be individually controller. there is only one address assigned for non dcc locomotives and when you use that address any and all non dcc locomotives will respond. the dcc equipped ones can be assigned individual addresses so that they respond only when selected.

also, read up on reversing sections. these need to be wired separately, similar to a traditional dc layout.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Kok-

Well, it's almost as easy as it sounds. It's true that an EZCommand DCC system will run trains, provided the locomotives have a DCC decoders installed. Many manufacturers, including Bachmann, sell steam and diesel locomotives with the decoders already installed and ready for the rails. Bachmann even has merchandise with the EZCommand system and a DCC "On Board" (Bachmann's term for DCC installed) locomotive in the same package. And, they sell their Dynamis DCC system, which is far more versatile and powerful than EZCommand, both alone and with a DCC On Board loco and train.

I suppose you could say the hard part is deciding which way to go: buy it all in one box or cherry pick a bit, perhaps even purchasing things from more than one manufacturer. However, it's fair to say that you are likely to get more for your money if you buy your equipment bundled than if you get a piece here, a piece there and another piece somewhere else. You might end up with better equipment if you cherry pick, or components which really satisfy your preferences, but you'll pay for the privilege.

A single feeder to your track will work for a small, simple layout like the oval which comes with the train sets. However, as your layout grows in size and complexity you are likely to need some additional power feeders. That's not a big deal, or an expensive one, but it's something you will probably have to do someday. It will still be a whole lot easier than isolating blocks and setting up cab controls so you can run more than one train at a time. You are wise, IMHO, to be starting with DCC rather than investing in items which you'll either have to scrap, sell at a loss or spend money improving if you start with plain DC.

Welcome to model railroading and the very interesting world of DCC.
                                                                                                      -- D

richg

Since you are new to DCC, below are some links to store in Favorites. Probably much more info than you need right now but it might prove useful in the future. Just take you time and enjoy.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/index.htm

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich