News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

building trackwork

Started by electrical whiz kid, May 20, 2012, 03:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Hi All;
It is hot this afternoon, so I tok five from the garden and wanted to find out some things here.
I am in the process of re-building my layout, and have been quietly gathering and researching parts for use on it.  Upon perusing "Central Valley"'s site some time ago, I had discovered" Jack Parker's tie-strips.  After looking it over, I had decided to send for a box as well as #7 turnout strips.  At the same time, I had purchased a bundle of code 83 rail.  Now, I have decided to use code 70-instead of the 83.  I am waiting for the shipment to come in.  Has anyone used this combination of parts?  The strip, turnout strips and parts included with same look extremely good.  I also stumbled across a sub-floor material used under the finished wood flooring that is black, sort of a soft plastic composition, and about 1/8" thick.  I am wondering if anyone has ever used this as roadbed.  THis stuff in theory, especially lends itself to yard trackage really well.
I want this layout to bw the culmination of my experience, as well as being dependable, good-looking track.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone this route.
Rich 

Doneldon

wiz-

I know the underlayment material you are considering; it is a good product and I think it would work quite well as sub-roadbed. I would glue it down completely (not a dab of glue here and there). I believe you will experience some good sound/vibration suppression from it. You can probably lay your yard tracks directly on it with just a little cinders around to finish the effect.

The JP tie strips are excellent. You can use them with either your Code 70 or Code 83 rail. Why not use the Code 83 for your high iron and the Code 70 in your yards and sidings?

Good luck with what sounds like a significant project.
                                                                               -- D