News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann K 27 2-8-2

Started by ironlake, May 17, 2012, 03:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironlake

what is the minimum diameter curve this engine will run on.  I am going to make a around the ceiling track with silverton pass cars behind it.  How many of these cars will it pull on level track.?  I am sorta new to g scale but I used to have a big hauler battery set with a large track plan out in the patio for kids to use when they came, but I think I am getting a lot better detailed loco with this one I hope.

the Bach-man

Dear IL,
It will run on 8' diameter, but it's happier on wider radii.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

armorsmith

Ironlake,

Although the B'mann says it will run on 8 foot diameter, I own one and would not recommend it.  I would recommend nothing smaller than 10 foot diameter and the closer to 20 foot diameter the better.  The K is well designed and on flat floor, I have pulled a train of about 30 freight cars of mixed LGB, AristoCraft, USA Trains, and Bachmann.  None of my rolling stock has ball bearing wheels, just properly  greased journals.  As for clearance, the tighter the diameter curve you try to run the K through, the more side clearance you will need as the overhang on the pilot gets larger (and looks more rediculous).  Also consider that this is a fairly heavy locomotive and will need very good track work and support to keep it from becoming a head ornament.  I would most definitely not want mine to fall from a ceiling height.

If you are planning to run the Big Hauler passenger cars with truck mounted couplers, you will find a height mis-match with the couplers.  The K27 is a 1:20.3 model, the big hauler cars are 1:22.5 (approximately).  Go to this thread on Large Scale Central forum and see how I am matching my Bachmann combine to the K27 coupler height.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=16788&p=2

As an aside, I am also planning a small ceiling layout, but plan to use a small Hartland Locomotive Works Mack switcher and some modified 'el cheapo' four wheel cars purchased off eBay.  This way I can use small diameter curves and lighter support structure (and use the Bachmann steel track that will not stand up outside).

Good luck and happy railroading.

Bob C.

Chuck N

On my layout here in Virginia, my K-27 runs with out any problems on AristoCraft wide radius curves (10' diameter).  On my patio layout in Arizona, using the same type of track, I had to put a little gear grease on the inside of the outside rail. The engine squeaked as the drive wheels entered the curve.  Based upon my experiences with this engine, I wouldn't go any tighter than 10' diameter curves.  It will probably run through 8' diameter curves, but there will be excessive wear and tear on the motor, drivers, and the track.

If you are planning an inside layout and the curves are too tight you will have black dust that drifts down from the track.  This is very fine pieces of brass that is being ground off the inside of the outside rail.  Sooner or later you will have to replace some or all of your curved track.  Engines with a shorter wheel base like the Bachmann Connie, Annie or the LGB mogul might be better suited to curves less than 10' in diameter.

Chuck

ironlake

Thanks guys for the help.  The patio idea sounds great as we have a 3 season patio and running it out there would be great and then put it inside on display in the winter when I play with my 3 rail o gauge layout.  Who makes the best and most reasonable priced track in 10 foot diameter for inside use.

armorsmith

Ironlake,

When it comes to 10' or larger diameter, you only have a couple of choices.  AristoCraft, and USA are the major players here, in brass, stainless steel, and aluminum track.  I would look at their websites  www.aristocraft.com and www.usatrains.com to see specifically what is available.  Track is not cheap, running $10.00 per foot or more.  Ebay is an alternative, but not necessarily any cheaper by the time the bidding ends.  Bachmann has recently entered the brass track market with a line of track geared at American narrow gauge, but only up to 8' diameter, and is slightly cheaper.

To expand your horizons, there are a couple of other forums available that are chock full of information and people ready, willing and able to help with any questions you may have and point you to the better vendors.

Have fun.

Bob C.

glennk28

I would recommend against trying to use a K-27  on an upper-level shelf.  These brutes are HEAVY!!  The K-27 has three connections between loco and tender, making it awkward to handle--needs at least three hands to lift it up to the track.  Mine run OK on the 8' diameter track-- but would like wider curves. 

As an aid to handling,I recommend running an 8-32 die on the drawbar post and securing the drawbar with a knurled binding post nut--helps keep the coupling.  gj