News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Correcting Track Gauge

Started by Desertdweller, May 12, 2012, 04:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

I've found a quick and easy way to correct tight track gauge sometimes found in curves.
I've used it on my own N-scale railroad built with E-Z Track, but I suspect it would work on regular sectional track as well in HO.

I have a particular loco (a Kato PA-1, in this case) that would always derail on the same E-Z Track switch, but only on that one switch, and only when approaching in a trailing point direction.  This was really frustrating, because it ran OK everywhere else in either direction.  And derailments on switches usually happen in the facing point direction.

So I stopped the loco and looked at it closely before it reached the switch.  The lead axle was already derailed before it even got to the switch!  Nothing I could have done to the switch would have helped, because the problem was happening before it got there.

I had already checked the gauge of the wheels.  When I placed a track gauge on the curve preceding the curve (about three feet from it) the gauge went on very tight.  The track in the curve was too narrow.

The gauge I use is built into a MicroTrains coupler check gauge.  I hooked the gauge over the rails, and pushed it around the curve a couple times in each direction.  It was difficult to move at first, then freed up on subsequent passes.

This solved the problem completely.  The only time I have not been able to adjust track gauge this way was in a curved terminal piece.  I couldn't fit the gauge into the flangways.  I was using this to represent a road crossing, not as an electrical connector.  I replaced the piece with a section of regular E-Z Track curve, and built my own crossing atop this.

Les

jward

the pa's long wheelbase trucks make it a very picky diesel. i've used them for finding flaws in the trackwork, along with a dd40, on previous layouts.

were you able to glue the rails in the new position so they don't revert to being out of guage?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

No, I didn't do that, but I will if the problem returns.

Les

NarrowMinded

What  it your track gauge made from? could enough of these corrections wear your track gauge out and make it just a coupler gauge?

NM-Jeff

Desertdweller

Jeff,

The gauge is cast from a metal that resembles zinc.  I'm sure it is the same material that the MicroTrains coupler adapters are made from.

I suppose that after an extended amount of use, it could wear out in the manner you described.  Probably the best way to prevent that would be to oil the gauge before using it.

I'll try to remember to do that the next time I need to use it like this.

Thanks.

Les

glennk28

get anNMRA standards gauge and learn to use it properly.  Do not use it as a tool but only to measure.  gj

Desertdweller

The MicroTrains Coupler Gauge is both a gauge and a tool.  The NMRA gauge is a measuring device only.  Since the MicroTrains gauge/tool is both, why buy an additional gauge to do the same job?

A three-point track gauge (used in hand laying track) could probably be used for both measurement and adjusting gauge.

Some people just enjoy collecting tools.  Nothing wrong with that.  I would rather spend my money on the trains.  I'll buy only the tools I need.

Les

Doneldon

Dd-

I agree with your analysis of the NMRA track/clearance/coupler gauge versus the one from MicroTrains. I always use the KaDee coupler gauge myself as it gives me a better shot at getting my couplers right. But nothing can replace the NMRA gauge when it comes to track, turnouts, wheel gauge and clearances.

I am guilty of loving tools and having more than I need (let's face it, "need" doesn't enter the equation when we're talking model railroading) but I don't think having both the Kadee and NMRA gauges falls under that rubric. To me, they are best at different things, so much so that I think having both makes sense.

-- D

Desertdweller

Well, I might get one sometime.  I've used them before on club layouts.

I think they would be most useful for establishing clearances.

Les

jward

as one who handlays track, i've used the kadee guage, micro engineering 3 point track guages, and the nmra guage. the tolerances are much tighter on the nmra guage. the other two will get you close to proper guage, but not necessarily within the tolerances ot the nmra guage. i always use the nmra guage for final adjustments for this reason.

using one of the other guages will help find problem areas, but they shouldn't be trusted as much as the nmra guage. if there are any discrepancies always go with the nmra standard and you can't go wrong.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA