Permenantly attaching a train track to plywood

Started by paulc8481, May 16, 2012, 05:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulc8481

I was given a Backmann train set from a friend and want to use it to make a nice display for the holiday season.  I want to permanently attach it to a piece of plywood that I can easily pick up with the track already attached and store in a safe place for the next time I want to use it.
  My question is how and what materials do I use to permanently attach it to the plywood?

Thanks

Paul

Jerrys HO

Paul,

You never said what type of track. Doing a search will help. I found this one to get you started if you are using track with no roadbed. You could probably use it with E Z Track but I use hot glue for mine and it works good.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18245.0.html

Hope it helps
Jerry

richg

Small nails or adhesive. With nails, not to tight or the track gauge will be changed. I have used Atlas track nails. No idea if Bachmann sells there own version.
A hot glue gun is a good option.

Rich

NarrowMinded

I'm working on a Christmas layout right now, instead of plywood I am using a cheap 42x80 hollow core door I bought at home depot, they are very light and don't flex like plywood  I glued down some white felt I got from the craft store. and am using nails to attach the track.

If you decide to change the layout later the nails can be pulled up.

P.S. I'm doing this with Bachmann Ez track

Doneldon

Paul-

I suggest either caulk or screws. You can paint or cover your surface and then attach your roadbed and track. Roadbed isn't strictly needed if you have a rigid base and attach the track well. 5/8" Plywood (MDF, etc.) will also work) so you don't have to frame it. If you use a door, be sure that its thin skin will support the concentrated weight of your tree, assuming you plan to have the train under the tree. If the train will be elsewhere a hollow door will work just fine.

Use clear caulk (be sure it's plastic safe) to attach your track and roadbed. That's a one-step process with track like EZTrack which already has the track and roadbed as one unit. Use a very thin bead of caulk, like 1/4" max, and spread it out with a putty knife. You'll be able to remove the track if you need to with the same putty knife. Make sure that all of your rails are joined together smoothly and that the "feet" of all of the rails are inside the rail joiners.

Screws work better than nails, in my opinion, because you can back them out a little if you put them in too hard and they push the ties down. Plus, they're a snap to remove.

Good luck with your project and Happy Holidays !

-- D

richg

If you use screws, watch what type you get. With some, the head of the screw can stick up quite high.

Rich

Len

Since you're talking about a more or less permanent track loop, "Liquid Nails for Projects" would be a good choice. It's safe for foam and plastic, and more permanent than hot melt glue.

If you're not putting a full size Christmas tree on the board, 2in thick pink or blue insulating foam would make a good base. It's much lighter than the equivalent size plywood for a 'put it away after the holidays' layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

i'd recommend using track nails to fasten the track to the board. but don't use a hammer to pound them in. what i've done is to use a #60 drill bit in a pin vise to pre drill holes for the nails, then drive them in with pliers. pre drilling the holes means you won't bend the nails while fastening down your track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA