News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lehigh Valley models

Started by LVChuck, May 17, 2012, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVChuck

Greetings,

How does one go about influencing paint scheme applications to models?  The new Alco S-4 and FA-2 with sound have received great reviews.  Good product for us DC folks at a good price.  But can we see these in Lehigh Valley please?

CHuck

Doneldon

LV-

The best way to influence paint application is to buy a bottle of paint, fire up the airbrush ...

Yes, I'm screwing with you, but not just for the fun of it. There are always messages here about folks wanting a particular prototype or paint scheme and usually they seem to end up disappointed. Model equipment manufacturers consider the complexity of their prototypes, the prototypes' paint shemes cost and the overall interest level in a given railroad when they decide what to model and how to paint it. This generally means simpler prototypes, less complex paint patterns and a broad market of potential buyers. Combined, that seems to leave more dissatisfied modelers than happy ones for any given release. There are even examples of locos or cars which are sold with paint schemes for railroads which never owned the equipment while lesser known railroads which did own the equipment are ignored. On a whim, for example, I bought an MTH Espee GS 4-8-4 in Santa Fe livery. The ATSF never had any such engine but it was a big and hugely popular railroad so MTH painted one for the SF. Go figure.

The good news is that the Lehigh Valley, for a comparatively small, regional railroad, gets an awful lot of its equipment modeled. Please understand I'm not picking on the LV or you, or complaining, just pointing out that there seems to be a disproportionate representation of the Lehigh. So ... may I suggest that you revel in the models you can obtain RTR and resign yourself to painting the ones which don't come with Lehigh colors? And count yourself lucky that you can find as much painted your way as you can, especially in comparison to other hobbyists who model similarly-sized railroads but find few prepainted items.

-- D

RAM

Espee GS 4-8-4 was painted black and lettered BNSF for a trip on BNSF

Desertdweller

Aw, they should have painted it orange and green.

Les

Doneldon

Quote from: RAM on May 17, 2012, 11:14:53 PM
Espee GS 4-8-4 was painted black and lettered BNSF for a trip on BNSF

RAM-

Yes. I know. But it doesn't change the fact that there was never an SP GS on the Santa Fe.

-- D

M1FredQ

Just my 2 cents worth.

I became familiar with LV because there was a Hopper Car included with the Hudson set my Father bought back in 1951.

In addition I like the brown-red colour. I think colour schemes play a BIG role in having an interest in engines and rolling

stock. The best example is the "War Bonnet" scheme Santa Fe used on their F-3's

Since getting back into the hobby because of my kids, I have taken an interest in all the small rail lines that operated

all over the USA, particularly in our area around Chicago and the Midwest. I have also seen how learning about these

lines has the added benefit of helping my kids learn their geography. Guests to our home, friends, and teachers of our kids

are impressed when the kids can point out the location of the cities and areas of these rail lines!!!! This has been a great

learning tool. Not to mention the additional benefit is my wife encourages and supports the hobby too!!!

Doneldon

Fred-

You are so right. I think we are drawn to the railroads we're familiar with and to the great paint jobs. Who can't fall in love with an Espee Daylight scheme or the iconic AT&SF stainless warbonnets?

The Warbonnets actually saved Lionel. The company was on the brink of bankruptcy in the years after WWII and would probably have shut the doors but for the incredible success of the Warbonnets. The soldiers coming home from the war and the country generally were looking forward to peace, marriage, kids and a home of their own. There just wasn't a place for an expensive toy in the budgets of young parents and homeowners. So Lionel was stuck and going down the tubes. Then they introduced the warbonnets for Christmas 1948 (I think) and the company was saved. They couldn't build those locos fast enough.

-- D

M1FredQ

Great Story  about the Warbonnets saving Lionel !!!