Gear replacement in a version 4 Big Hauler 4-6-0

Started by grabnet, July 20, 2012, 05:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grabnet

Hi Folks,

I have read with interest about all of the different versions of the iconic 4-6-0.

I recently purchased a version 4 Big Hauler on eBay with the large center "hump"on the bottom of the chassis.

I am interested in converting this to a simple trailing car battery/RC setup.

The first step is to disconnect the input leads from the drivers and lead truck to the motor which means getting in to the interior. This was an enjoyable experience and the innards are well laid out and the wiring was very easy to follow.

I did find while on the inside that the main drive gear was rather well worn with plastic debris in the chassis. The main plastic gear, while very well worn, was not "stripped" and the loko ran with noise for the previous owner.

I was hoping to replace this gear and move on with the RC/Battery conversion. However these replacement gears are NOT easily found. A call to NWSL reveals difficulty finding a replacement for this gear and possibly they could do a custom job with measurements or sending the gear to them.

Barry's Big Trains has closed down so no obvious help there with a replacement mechanism.

I do not think a replacement gear is possible from B.Mann parts.

So I have these questions for "the faithful."

1) I really like this engine and would like to know where in the world can you get a replacement gear for a version 4 Big Hauler?

2) Will the replacement gears and new motor available from B.Mann from the parts dept (I believe these are for version 5 and the Annie) work in the earlier models? Do they fit in the older chassis? The price for this gear and motor set up is reasonable to me and I would use it if it will fit.

3) Anyone have any luck with a NWSL custom gear for these older models??

Thanks so much for your help and sage advice.

Tom in Tennessee.

Barry BBT

Tom,

Don't write me off,yet.

I have the stock gears, but this drive is fallible. 

I do have my standard BBT drives available.

Barry Olsen
barrysbigtrains@live.com

623-936-6088

6822 W. Villa St.
Phoenix, AZ 85043
There are no dumb questions.

grabnet

Hello Barry

Thank you for your nice response to my inquiry.

I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Thank you for your continued interest in large-scale trains

I am currently building an outdoor garden railroad. Because of the high cost of the track etc.,I have had to be careful on purchases for motive power for this rr.

I would be interested in a replacement gear for the version 4 Bachmann Big Hauler.

Can you tell me the cost of this replacement gear.? I look forward to hearing from you.

A private email was sent.

Tom Grabenstein

Sent from my iPhone