News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shopping for track

Started by VeritechCEO, October 25, 2008, 09:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeritechCEO

Ok, first off, I'm about a decade behind on the times as far as new types of HO track is concerned.  Use to be that Atlas was the big brand for HO scale tracks, that I was aware of.  Now there are several differant brands that I'm aware of.  What is the differance between each brand of Track, in terms of over all quality?  I've tried researching this on the net and had no luck in finding the info I seek anywhere.

Yampa Bob

First, most modelers advise using nickel silver track, not steel or brass.

Beyond that there are several options.  Atlas sectional and flex track is made in both Code 100 and Code 83 rail heights. Check the Atlas web site for comparisons, or pick up an Atlas track catalog from a local dealer.

Many modelers are using Bachmann EZ track, nickel silver code 100 rails mounted on  gray plastic roadbed.  The sections lock together, and don't require as much, if any, nailing down, even works on floor or carpet for temporary or occasional use.

Bachmann EZ track is compatible with Atlas code 100, so you can add a trestle, bridge, turntable, or other accessory currently not available from Bachmann.  Some elevation adjustment or adding a roadbed might be required.

There are other brands, but I can't advise about them as Bachmann and Atlas are the only ones I have used.

Best advice is to visit a well stocked hobby shop and make comparisons.  Others may add additional comments.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Dear CEO,

Here is an extremely detailed article on various HO track systems by Jim Hediger in Model Railroader magazine.

Track buyer's guide
Model Railroader, October 2003 page 90
choosing track for your railroad
( "HEDIGER, JIM", REVIEW, TRACK, HO, MR )

Though the article is 5 years old, track doesn't really change much.  Most newer developments are different fitter lengths, new turnout numbers and new crossing degrees. 

Notes on Bachmann HO track:

1.) Jim's article mistakenly calls Bachmann's HO 36" (solid) straight length of track "flex-track".
2.) Bachmann has recently added turnouts with stationary DCC controllers built in.

Your local model train club may have access to old MR mags, otherwise check your local library.  Ask for reprints of the article if necessary.  Kalmbach has back issues, but they are pricey. 

If your "handle" is for real, you may be able to afford the Kato line of track.   

Hope this helps.

Free the 2" Straights !

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Frisco

Non Roadbeded Track: Atlas: Atlas track is cheap but does not look very good the code 83 is better but still not as good looking as some of the other track systems, it operates well but there is much better.                      Micro Engineering: Looks the best (some will say even better than hand laid) operates perfectly, the only downside is that it is very expensive although it really is not that much compared to what we will spend on a locomotive. Peco: Looks pretty good (some people think that it looks to British, although it does not to me, so you will haft to make up your mind for yourself) operates better than any track system on the market, once again though it is very expensive.                                                                   Roadbeded Track: Life-Like "Power-lock" Does not look very good but operates okay and is pretty cheap.  Bachmann EZ track: If you get the grey roadbed than it looks okay, I have been using it on the floor putting it out than putting it a way  for years and it is just starting to wear out, so the qualty is perfect and best of all it is not to expensive. Kato "unit-track" : Looks really great operates perfect but is the most expensive track system of them all. Trix track: Looks okay, but I have not had any experence with its operational qualties. Atlas "True-track" : Does not look verry good it is just Atlas code 83 track attached to fake looking roadbed, it is priced okay and has the advantige of the track comming out of the roadbed if you want to use it on the floor first then take it out of the roadbed and attach it to the layout later. If you want to see pictures and prices of all the track systems go to the Walthers website www.walthers.com .

SteamGene

Once track is painted and has ballast added, it's fairly hard to tell the difference.  If I'd gone with Peco, I'd still be saving to buy turnouts. (But I wish Atlas had come out with #8s three years ago!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

For what it's worth, Atlas recently revised all their turnouts in both codes, eliminated the ugly rivets, has rail stock for points instead of the thin stampings that caused "picking" and gauge problems, lengthened (sharpened) the frog to extend deeper into the flangeway.  The result is an almost non-existent dip in the flangeway "no rail" area, a major factor in derails at the frog.  (reference the diagram at NMRA)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Frisco

I reacently just happened to find this website. This covers everything verry well except for pre roadbeded track.http://www.ndrr.com/rmr_faq/Layout/Track-types.htm