News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a new model railroad.

Started by rogertra, June 02, 2012, 02:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Nice work Roger. Hope you get the TT up and going.

Jerry

rogertra

Possible arrangement for west end industries.

Buildings salvaged from previous GER and will need some extra work. Buildings against backdrop just eye candy at present.

Note. Main track, closest to camera and heading towards window will eventually curve left, in front of window on its way to staging.

This view shows the combined oil dealer and lumber yard. Next track over are two large unnamed as yet industries.

Another unnamed industry fed via a switchback from second track in first photo: -

Yellow building is Nacan Products followed by Lestra Industries, named after my father, then the ramp track and next to the yard ladder, the team track and, eventually a largish freight house: -

Overall view looking west with the team track in the foreground: -

jonathan

Enjoying your quick progress.  Thanks for sharing! 

You mentioned the work "backdrop".  Are you going to free paint something or use wall paper?  I like to do a little of both.

Great stuff!

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Jonathan.

On the last GER I hand painted the backdrop, I have just enough artist "skill" to do sky and clouds.  This time I think I'll hand paint the sky as I did last time because the backdrop will be around four feet high, I have nine foot ceilings.  As the new GER will be located in what is a fairly flat area of the St. Lawrence Valley, around Farnham Quebec, I think I'll use a generic farmland photo backdrop that was taken by a friend from his car.  Helps to have friends who live in the area you are modelling when you are 3000 miles away.

Before any permanent scenery and ballasting is started, the backdrop sky will be hand painted and the photo backdrop installed.  However, I expect it will be several months before I make a start on that.

As my friend posted on one of my Yahoo Groups, it's taken me about 30 days to go from nothing to where I am now but it took me two years to get started!  :)