News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A question for the Bach-Man...

Started by Sasha, June 10, 2012, 04:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasha

Hello, wise and brilliant Sir!  My question is:

The Spectrum DDA40Xs are were advertised as 'with or without' horn sound. I have one of each, but I cannot find where the horn sound is coming from.  Inside and out, they appear identical.  I do see that when the horn sound is active, the locomotive slows and the lights dim a little.  Can you tell me where the sound comes from and how it's generated to operate on a seemingly random basis?

Thank you so much!

richg

You must have a custom converted Spectrum as Bachmann does not sell this loco with sound, only DCC on board. Open it up. You will find a speaker inside.
I am always curious and open a new loco to see what it looks like inside. I then take a few photos to post when someone wonders what a loco looks like inside before buying. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Rich

Sasha

I have opened both locomotives.  They are Spectrums, not the newer DCC models.  The PC boards that line the top of the shell are the same - just directional lighting and LED circuits.  There are no speakers and no places for speakers.

richg

Quote from: Sasha on June 10, 2012, 04:54:26 AM
Hello, wise and brilliant Sir!  My question is:

The Spectrum DDA40Xs are were advertised as 'with or without' horn sound. I have one of each, but I cannot find where the horn sound is coming from.  Inside and out, they appear identical.  I do see that when the horn sound is active, the locomotive slows and the lights dim a little.  Can you tell me where the sound comes from and how it's generated to operate on a seemingly random basis?

Thank you so much!

You mentioned, with or without sound. You have one of each. There will be no sound if no speaker or sound decoder.

Post the link to the advertisement you seem to be quoting.

Rich

Sasha

The advertisement is from a long time ago on the website http://tycotrain.tripod.com/bachmanntrainscollectorsresource/id17.html (no longer exists).  I only have the printed paper that my neighbor gave to me.

There is a horn sound in my #6926 model, but not in my #6900 model.  I think it could be something built into the motor(s) of the #6926.  I don't know.   ???

Ken G Price

Sasha, did you look under the decoder?
The speaker may be attached on the down facing side.
Or in a milled out space where the fuel tank is.
Follow all the wires and see if any go to the fuel tank area.
This all I can think of for the engine that has the sound.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jward

this may shed a little light. evidently, the horn does not come from the decoder but was built into the locomotive itself. even the dc versions had the horn.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalelocomotives/id54.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Sasha

This is confusing.  There is no decoder in either of my locomotives.  They are Spectrum models, not the newer DCC models.  No decoders and no places for speakers.

I read through the page behind the link (thanks for that), but I still cannot find any traces of a horn.