News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dummy plugs for PC Board

Started by Sylvanian, June 13, 2012, 02:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvanian

Hello,
I've spent many years in model railroading.  I still run DC due to the large number of DC engines owned (going back to the 1940s).   I just purchased a DCC equipped GS4 and am curious as to the purpose of the dummy plugs included with the engine.   The directions show how to place the dummy plugs into the PC board, but there is no explanation as to why I should or should not use them.  Help!

Doneldon

Syl-

Use the plugs if you will only be running your loco on DC. It will operate a bit better.

-- D

LDBennett

I had the same question and others here told me to pull the DCC board and replace it with the dummy plug. The Trolley did run with the DCC board installed on my DC layout but it seemed a bit balky at low speeds. I replace the DCC decoder with the dummy board and both my trolleys run better. It is a good thing to do for those of us that still have DC power layouts.

LDBennett

richg

Manufactures will not spell it out but running a decoder with DC is second best. Some will tell you that you might have to turn the power pack up a little higher than usual.
The NMRA knew that when they were developing DCC but they also know, some will resist totally switching over to DCC systems. Nature of the beast.
The microprocessor on the decoder needs at least five volts DC to just wake up. Then a volt or two more for the loco to begin moving.
You cannot make assumptions with DCC.
Bachmann does not make the decoders.

Rich

Sylvanian

Thanks for the response.  I think I understand.  Essentially, when I remove the decoder and install the dummy plugs, they provide a bi-pass for the current.  Correct?

Doneldon

Quote from: Sylvanian on June 13, 2012, 11:18:32 PM
Thanks for the response.  I think I understand.  Essentially, when I remove the decoder and install the dummy plugs, they provide a bi-pass for the current.  Correct?

Syl-

Not so much a bypass as a direct line.

-- D