News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SP Cab Forward

Started by glennk28, June 04, 2012, 03:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

This reaches back to the days before Bachmann acquired Williams, but perhaps someone has somme info.

I recently purchjased Williams #8002 O Scale model of an SP AC-12 Cab Forward.  It is labeled "Crown Edition" and is made for 2-rail.  (It was also made for 3-rail as by coincidence there was one of those up on eBay at the same time.

Does anyone know then these models were produced?  The seller says the 2-rail loco has been re-motored--knowing O Scalers as I do, were these originally underpowered (necessitating a new motor?)  I have not track tested it yet--but it is a good "layout-grade" model
Thanks for whatever info you have.

Glenn Joesten

phillyreading

The Crown Edition was made by Williams about 15 to 18 years ago, so finding repair parts will not be easy. However to update to a modern Williams by Bachmann
motor kit is rather easy, you replace the whole motor assembly and circuit board with the new one by Bachmann.
Unless the frame has been changed a whole lot, the new motors will fit where the old ones used to be.

Lee F.

glennk28

this one has been re-motored--just wonderinf\g if it had been necessary, or just forf better traction--gj

phillyreading

I can't say why the engine was re-motored if it was, better traction may not be the whole issue. Somebody may have been into serious "O scale" operating of the engine, and that is what two rail DC operation is about in O gauge trains.
You should test the engine on DC power first!!
Does the engine contain a circuit board inside? If not it might be a DC operated unit that needs a differant transformer than what most Williams engines use.

Lee F.

glennk28

thanks-- it runs well on DC--using an old Marnold pack.  I have been a serious O Scaler for over 50 years.  The motor in this loco appears to be a Pittman--which is about as beefy as can be put in an O Scale loco.   It is just that I have not been familiar with the Williams brand in scale applications.  So I was wondering if there is any background on this.  Thanks for the responses.  gj

phillyreading

I have not heard of a Mernard pack, is it DC?

A little off subject, but I bought a set of Williams F-7 diesels from the Crown Edition period and they needed some more powerful motors as well. It is an ABA set of diesels and just barely pulled the set of six passenger cars that came with it, put an extra set of motors from another set of F-7's into the first set and it runs pretty good now, the second set of F-7's got new motors by Williams by Bachmann.

Lee F.

Rusty

Quote from: phillyreading on June 05, 2012, 08:47:25 AM
I have not heard of a Mernard pack, is it DC?

Lee F.

It's Marnold, not Menards. 

The Marnold "Marn-O-Stat" was the preffered throttle in the olden days when the earth was cooling. (Before the 1970's)  It was a basically a big, honkin' curved variable resistor with a pivoting slider with a handle on it that required a fixed 12v DC supply.   It was also incorporated into a standalone DC power pack offered by Marnold.

Rusty

glennk28

Marnold also had a system of modular panels to custom-design  a power center.  Waalthers made them il the later years.--gj

3rail

Glenn,

The Cab Forward was made in 1989.  Very few 2-rail models were produced.

Regards,

3rail