Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC to DCC

Started by KDK, June 19, 2012, 04:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDK

I'm running DC now, what is necessary to switch to DCC

Bucksco

Decoder equipped locomotives and a DCC controller.

Nathan

There are several good places to look for information.  One of them is:

http://tonystrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm

Aonther is:

http://dccwiki.com/Main_Page

Nathan

richg

You left some important information.
Scale you run.
Manufacturer and model of each loco.
Age of loco if possible.
DCC is a lot different than DC operated layouts for various reasons. Spend an hour or so looking through the various discussions on DCC layouts/locos. You will see what I mean.
Not to scare you but trying to compare DC, analog age to DCC, digital age is not always a direct comparison. A few with DCC experience will sometimes tell you it is easy but they have experience.
Getting into DCC with sound is another big discussion.

Take time to look though the links that have been provided and don't make assumptions based on your experience with DC.

Rich

Ken G Price

If you have only run DC by hooking up two wires to the track then that is all you need to do to start with DCC.
Of course you need to have good running engines with good DCC decoders in them to get all of the fun of DCC. ;D
Even though I now have a good sized DCC layout with 12 DCC engines, it all started with two wires from the DCC command station two the track and two DCC equipped engines. :)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Doneldon

KDK-

It's probably not quite as easy as Ken described it, unless you have a very small simple layout, but it's not as hard as Rich intimated, either. I think the key is to start slow and learn as you go. That means researching for an excellent basic system with at least most of the features you think you'll ever want, the power to operate the number of locomotives you plan/have, and genuine expandability. Once you get the hang of basic operations, running several track feeders (two wires to the track won't cut it for much of a layout), and learn more about DCC you'll be ready to start making permanent plans and probably move into sound. While I agree with just about everyone on this board that starting small and slow is the best way to learn without discouragement, I have stronger feelings than most about the desirability of beginning with a full-featured system which will truly permit expansion if you want it. It's not much more expensive to go this route if you don't ever expand but it can be a bit of a financial hit to buy something so elementary that you'll be forced to discard it if you do want to move along with DCC.

So ... I strongly urge you to consider the Bachmann Dynamis along with entry- or near entry-level systems from other manufacturers. Try to find a LHS with a layout where you can test drive a few systems to get some idea about how they operate and, seriously, things like how the various controllers feel in your hands. You don't want to find yourself with hundreds of dollars invested in a system on which your hands always feel like you're wearing mittens.

This board is an outstanding source of information about DCC and other aspects of model railroading. As you progress to activities like installing you own decoders in locos the folks here will be ready and able to help.

Take your time and do your research, and you'll find just what you need/want.
                                                                                                                                                                -- D