News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-4-0 Is Sticking

Started by Forrest, June 17, 2012, 09:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest

My new Spectrum Sound ME Central stops at two places on my layout, while the wheels continue to spin.  I have to nudge the train for it to continue.  No problems with performance on the rest of the layout, only those two spots on the track.    I also run a Backmann DC train on the same layout with no problems at all.  Any suggestions?
Forrest

VTBob

Check to see if the pilot is hung up on the track. I had to shave off a bit on my pilot because it dragged on the rails is a few spots.

Actually, I've had this problem with quite a few 4-4-0's of all different makes.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Jerrys HO

fgraves,

Check your track to see if where it's catching could be unlevel causing the belly of the loco to drag the ties. Other's reported problem's with the 2-6-0 and 0-6-0 dragging. Do a search as I believe they had to file down the lower gear housing.

Jerry

ebtnut

Are the spots near turnouts?  Maybe you have a low coupler pin that's hitting a rail. 

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: ebtnut on June 19, 2012, 01:07:51 PM
Are the spots near turnouts?  Maybe you have a low coupler pin that's hitting a rail. 

I have had that problem before. The solution, if the coupler pin is low and catching on the points, take a couple pairs of needle nose pliers and clamp one across the pin close to the curve in the pin and take the other pliers and use the second pair to bend the coupler pin to a height that doesn't catch on the points.

rogertra

Another way is to use one pair of needle nose pliers.

You put the end of one jaw on the top of the knuckle and the other on the bottom of the trip pin with the pliers aligned down the centre of the coupler, NOT off to one side and then gently squeeze the jaws together just enough to bend the trip pin slightly.

Easier than using two pairs of pliers and your non existant third hand to hold the model while you adjust the trip pin.  :)

Forrest

Much thanks for each of your suggestions.  I shaved the lower gear housing on the Pilot and adjusted the coupler pins.  These actions seem to have resolved the problem.
Forrest

Jerrys HO

Forrest,

Thanks for the update. It helps when we know we have helped and we are not wondering if it worked.

Jerry