News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound card

Started by Derek, June 24, 2012, 11:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Hello,  I understand that I can fit a sound card and speaker into my Class 108 3 car DMU (Model 32-910), a British design from the Bachmann Branchline series.
Has anyone else done this?  If so, is it a nice enhancement to the model?

Does the sound card replace the DCC chip, or is it extra?

Many thanks for any comments.

Derek in New Zealand.

Doneldon

Derek-

I'm aware that this model is no longer included in the Bachmann Europe product range but it was never sold in the US. I doubt if you'll have much luck getting any information here (I hope I'm wrong about that) but I would think someone ought to be able to help you on a board frequented by British modelers.

Most modelers focus on what's familiar to them. That, coupled with a large, varied and rich North American railroad history, means that few North American model rails are interested in foreign prototypes and, consequently, foreign models are rare here. So, few of us know much about either full-sized or model trains in other countries.
                                                                                                                                     -- D

ebtbob

Derek,

You might want to check out the offerings from Lok Sound.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

richg

Go to the LokSound and SoundTraxx sites and get the dimensions of the sound decoders and speakers. Usually, for HO scale, a 28 mm round is used. Some might use a 16 mm x 36 mm oval speaker.
Both have the standard and Micro version sound decoders.
Do the research. You will see everything you need to make a decision. Measure the inside of the tender for available space. Follow the directions that come with the decoder. That has always worked for me.

Rich

Derek

Thank you all for your advice... much appreciated.

richg

I should have mentioned, LokSound has many loco sounds for your side of the Pond, EU, UK, etc. I have looked at their site quite a lot.
SoundTraxx has nice sound decoders but only for USA stuff that last time I looked.

Rich