News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing coal bunker on alco 2-6-0

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, June 29, 2012, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Wish to convert  my Alco 2-6-0 mogul from coal to oil....has anyone yet  attempted to remove the coal bunker on this engine,looks according to the drawings in the diagram section that its  just held in by 4 tabs.
Rocky Lives

richg

Get one and try it. Should not be a problem.

Rich

Doneldon

G.N.-

It also looks to me like the coal load is held by just four tabs. The hardest part of the swap
might be getting over the anxiety about wrecking the tender while trying to remove it.
                                                                                                                             -- D

Pacific Northern

It is what it shows as. Just pops out.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

And it's not that hard to even remove cast in coal loads so as to have a tender that's not full.

Drill small holes, 1/16th", around the edge of the coal load and then use a brand new hobby knife and a little bit of care to cut out the coal load.  A little bit of filing and there you go.  You can add a coal load that is lower down in the tender. 

You just need to courage to tackle that first kitbash.  Yes, it's scary the first time but I like many people take a hobby saw and a knife to my plastic locomotives on a frequent bases.  In my case it's to make them look different from everyone else's and to give all the steam at least, a family look.

GN.2-6-8-0

Ok engine was delivered yesterday and yep bunker pops right out.
Should be a piece of cake to Scratch build a oil bunker and should drop right in.... have to say for a standard line model this engine is very nicely built and finished
Rocky Lives

electrical whiz kid

(One of) my moguls,an IHC, has an oil bunker.  At the same time I got this engine, I was on Jack Parker's (Central Valley)'s site, and saw this 2-8-2- with a coal tender and an auxiliary water tender.  What a really neato idea" I excxlaimed.  So, I proceeded to build up an old (pre-spectrum) Bachmann coal tender to the super detailed ideal I havefor a great tender, and will (eventually-like next month...) pull the oil bunker off of the original IHC tender and then lower [it] to what could be pawned off as a water tender and then put some filler holes on it.  Oh, by the way, I got these really neat tender express trucks...hey-it's my money, right?...
Rich C.
Owner, chief cook and bottle washer of the
PORTSMOUTH TERMINAL AND HOOSIC railroad co.

GN.2-6-8-0

Okay got to work this morning with a good start,need to do a mit bit of filling around the edges and find something to use a a oil filler hatch ,paint and blend it all together and this should do it....ya think?

Rocky Lives

Doneldon

GN-

It sure looks like it's going to work.

-- D

rogertra

Looking good.

Suitable oil hatches etc. are available from the usual sources on-line.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Tell 'em the "usual sources".
Rich C.