News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Control Panel Design and Build

Started by John Honeck Sr, September 17, 2012, 05:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Honeck Sr

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to layout and build a control panel. The info I need is what switches, lites, controls, wiring, etc. are the best to use? Is there any software help in designing a panel? I have a company, listed in my favorites with a internet site, called www.controlpaneldesign.com. I have not used it yet, are there any other softwares available?

Doneldon

John-

Tough question! I think we'll need some more information to come up with much of an answer.

What size control board?
How big is your layout?
Is this for an operations-oriented layout or one to just make the trains run?
Do you plan to have your control board trackside or in an isolated dispatcher's office?
Will this be your only control board or will there be satelites?
DC or DCC?
How many operators do you expect?
Will you include remote turnout controls? Do you favor slide switches, rotaries or toggles?
Do you like separate switches or several ganged together as with many of the Atlas products?
Will you include a track schematic?
Will it be linear or in the actual shape of your layout?
If you have a schematic, do you want lights and/or switches integrated into the schematic?
Do you plan to include auxiliary controls for things like lights and animations?

Let us know what you're thinking and we'll try to come up with some suggestions.
                                                                                                                           -- D

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon is right on the mark:  Tough question!  I think the most important thing you can do right up front is to ask yourself all of the questions peresented by him, place them in a logical manner by which I mean which is going to be good for you.  If you are wondering if there are any codes, standard proceedures, etc, it is all up to what you have, how you want to run it.  It is also about the toughest question you will ever ask yourself when it comes to this hobby.  I am planning my (hopefully) last layout now, and it is looming large in front of me, also.  Whatever you do, plan out each phase as well as have a valid plan as to what you want, how you want to run it.
Rich C.