Switching from EZ Command DCC to Dynamis DCC

Started by Denyse, June 30, 2012, 07:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denyse

I finally made the plunge and purchased a Dynamis DCC wireless controller.   My railroad at the moment runs under the EZ command controller.

What is the easiest way to get my already programmed locomotives under the EZ command system over to the Dynamis command system?

I also have the 5 Amp Bachmann booster.  Even though I have read the online manual, I am still a bit confused as it is not covered; but am I correct I can just use the same cable that right now goes from the 5 Amp booster to my EZ commander controller; remove the EZ command controller and connect that cable to the connection in the Dyamis control module?

But as I said, I am in the most need of getting my ALREADY programmed locomotives over to the new system.  I have a consist of 3 and 2 consists of 2.  All work fine, now, and I want to make sure they will all work fine after the change over.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

richg

It should work as all the data is stored in the decoders.
I have run my locos at home and went to the club layout and did not have to do anything different.
Now, no idea on what gauge wires you have been using for the EZ Command. With a 5 amp booster, I would want at least 16 gauge wire and maybe 14 gauge for a medium size layout.
Our club uses both with no issues.
You might also consider a Ramp Meter to monitor current and voltage.
I built a DCC amp meter for our club and my home layout.
I and others at our club know how to use an inexpensive digital multimeter to read the DCC voltage. We have been doing this for a few years.

Rich

Denyse

So if I understand you correctly the consists will work as they are.   How to I get the Dynamis controller to know the correct button, or will the button number be the same ?

Am still very confused.

Doneldon

Denyse-

Your locos' programming will work just fine without any further effort by you as the decoders store all programming information. I don't know if that is true for your consists because they are run through the control system which has to "know" about the consists. I'm not positive but I think you'll have to redo the consists as you go. Someone on here with more experience about this than I have will give you the definitive skinny.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

railtwister

I didn't realize the EZ-command system could do consisting, since it's an entry level system. Try one of your consisted locos by itself using the Dynamis and the loco's individual address, it may work. If not, you'll probably have to break down all of your consists and release them to single loco addresses with your original system first, then create new consists with the Dynamis after you have switched over to using it. I believe the individual loco addresses are stored in the decoder, while consisting information is set up in the command station, but may also use some CV's in the decoder as well, I'm not sure since I haven't used either the Bachmann DCC systems or consisting on my own narrow gauge modular layout.

When all else fails, consult the instruction manuals!

Good luck,
Bill in FL

jward

the locomotives should work on whatever address you programmed them to with the ez command.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

I would think the consist would still work.  since the EZ command only supports basic consisting,  when you go say to address 7 on the Dynamis it should cause all the locos programmed to that address to respond.