News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Iron King set questions

Started by ryeguyisme, July 05, 2012, 09:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Does this sets cars come with metal wheels?

And question for Jonathan since he collects the engines(0-6-0's)
How reliable are the newer generation engines??

Jerrys HO

rye,

The Iron King set has knuckle's body mounted and plastic wheels. I purchased the wheel set's and converted them.

I know jonathan is going to say exactly what I am going to, ( he has quoted saying this before)
They are great little runner's. Don't expect to pull a lot with them.

Jerry

ryeguyisme

Thanks Jerry, considering i can buy the set for around 80 i might just take the dive but who knowsss

jonathan

Sorry, Rye, I just saw your post.

Right out of the box, the 0-6-0s will run just OK.  As you may have noticed, I tweak them with current pick up in the tender, which improves their performance 100%.  There is nothing wrong with the motor, gearing, or rod/valve gear mechanism.  They are quite reliable.  The issue is current flow from the wheels to the motor.  With 10-wheel pick up, these babies run quite smoothly.  After a good break-in, and clean track, these little locos will creep quite well.

Also key is weight.  I put lead in the domes, stack, former smoke unit, and the cab roof.  With the weight, I can double head the 0-6-0 and pull 20+ cars with ease.  Of course, these were meant to be switchers.  That is why I go to the trouble of replacing the dummy coupler with a Kadee, lower shank, metal coupler.

The dimensions are pretty darn close the prototype USRA 0-6-0.  Perhaps they are a little lacking in detail, but I like to tinker.

Oh, and they fit on that really small Atlas turntable... convenient for me, as space is an issue.

Regards,

Jonathan

ryeguyisme

thanks Jonathan for the really detailed insight, it will definitely be a determining factor in my purchase decision ;D