News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speed of Bachmann SD40's

Started by EJELen, July 18, 2012, 06:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EJELen

Fellow Forum Members,

I have two Bachmann SD40-2 locomotives, one that came DCC equipped and one that didn't. I added/replaced NCE model BACH-DSL decoders in both. Both units have the weights that are split horizontally, not side by side (split frame). Everything works fine, but I have one question. Do these locomotives always run slowly? Unfortunately, I never ran them (both new) before I did the conversion, so I don't have a benchmark. I did look (per the instructions) for the capacitors, but I didn't find any.

Not that speed is that critical, because they both run fine but I was just wondering why these loco's are noticeably slower than my Blue Boxes.

Anybody else have this experience?

Thanks,

Len S

richg

Since you pulled the PC board, I suspect the caps went with the old board as the PC board was actually the decoder.
Define, slower.

Measure the speed using the below method. .
That wiIl give you a true comparison.
Also, do a reset of the decoder. I always do that if something seems amiss.
The decoder may need fine tuning also. The NCE site has the manual for that decoder as I have seen the manual there b
http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rroperat.htm

Rich

EJELen

Rich,

Thanks for that link. I can go to the Club when I get a chance and calculate the actual speed. Just for a frame of reference, the Bachmann locos run about 2/3 as fast as the Athearns.

I did put the locos on the rollers last night and ran them for about 1/2 hour each way, so they may get broken in a bit before I time them. Once I get them to the Club, I'll also set the starting voltage and speed match them.

Len S

richg

I am curious at how all your locos compare to a realistic speed and each other and for your scale?
Sometimes a loco has a mechanical issue.
Sometimes the default settings of a decoder might be different than another brand of decoder.
Our club, we established a baseline for actual HO speed using the timing method. Then we matched the decoders in the different locos.
W\e consist locos and also use pushers at the end of a long freight, ok, for our layout, maybe forty cars which can be tricky.
With DCC, never assume, anything.

Rich