News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track/sideings

Started by bill collins, July 21, 2012, 03:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill collins

I have a main line for passenger trains with two sidings. Once I bring a train onto a siding, how do I stop it from moving while I bring another train past on the main line. I use DC power. I'm new at this.

richg

Reduce to power pack to zero. Switch the turnouts back to the main line. Turn up the power pack to start the other loco. This is assuming power routing turnouts.
You gave use very little info on your layout wiring/power routing for turnouts.
It does sound like you have two locos running on one power pack.

Rich

bill collins

Thanks for the help. I'm using all Bachmann EZ-Track

Jhanecker2

Your sidings should have gaps in the control rail with single pole single throw switch to insulate the siding  from the mainline .  You really need to get a book on model railroad wiring .  Atlas and Kalmbach Publishing both have books on that subject.  J2

Jerrys HO

bill

You can also use block control. Just isolate the siding from the main and power the siding with a toggle switch where you can turn the power on and off to the siding.

Jerry

jward

to have usable block control you will need 4 seperate blocks. to merely isolate the siding from the main will let you park a train on the siding, but when you want to move the train off the siding you'd have to remove the other train from the tracks.

the 4 blocks you will need to completely independently control two trains are as follows:

1. the siding itself.

2. the main track between the two switches of the siding.

3 the main track left ot the left siding switch.

4. the main track to the right of the right siding switch.

note that in addition to gapping the rail on both routes at each switch, you will also have to put a gap in the rail somewhere on the other side of your oval. all gaps must be on the same rail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA