News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC turnouts

Started by rbryce1, July 30, 2012, 12:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

Is there a way to add a decoder to an existing remote controlled turnout?

Doneldon

rb-

Not without removing the existing switch machine and replacing it with a DCC machine. To the best of my knowledge (someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong) you can't just convert Bachmann turnouts to DCC remotes by replacing the switch machine, whether manual or remote. However, you can add a DCC stationary decoder which will tell your existing remote switch machine when to operate. If you have Bachmann remote turnouts, it might be easier to replace the entire turnout with a DCC turnout and use the merely remote turnout elsewhere on your layout where DCC isn't needed.
                          -- D

rbryce1

Doneldon,

Acknowledge that, but I would more than likely prefer to add a stationary decoder to the existing installed turnouts.  How can I determine if the turnouts I have are solenoid, slow motion motors or something else?  The decoder part seems easy, power the decoder from track power and power the switch motor from the decoder, but you need to get the proper decoder for the installed switch motor.  The type of switch machine motor being used in the turnout is what I don't know.

Any help?

Doneldon

rb-

All of the solenoid switch motors I've seen are lightening quick. True motor switch machines
are slow throw, and they continue to draw a little juice after the turnout is thrown as a way
to keep the points tight on the stock rails.
                                                                    -- D

Joe Satnik

Dear rbryce1,

Are you looking for a Smail?

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/Smail.htm

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.