News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Not all the advertised sounds.

Started by Limey, July 30, 2012, 09:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

I recently purchased Bachmann item 64901 (HO Alco FB2 diesel loco with sound) I have been able to program it for 4 digit address and the normal engine sounds come on but I am unable to get the bell and diesel horns to operate.     My system is a Digitrax Zephyr so as per. their instructions I programmed on the program track using a 1000 ohm resistor across the tracks.   Has anyone else had any similar problems with this item or have any suggestions as to how to rectify it.    Thanks. Limey.

rbryce1

I have the same engine, only in Erie Lackawanna, and I just tried it on the track by itself.  No bells or horns either.  A "B" unit must be used with an "A" unit, (as the "B" unit has no cab for an engineer to control the train).  That being the case, and I may be wrong, but it seems logical that there would be no facilities for a bell or horn on the "B" unit.

rogertra

Quote from: rbryce1 on July 30, 2012, 11:02:25 PM
I have the same engine, only in Erie Lackawanna, and I just tried it on the track by itself.  No bells or horns either.  A "B" unit must be used with an "A" unit, (as the "B" unit has no cab for an engineer to control the train).  That being the case, and I may be wrong, but it seems logical that there would be no facilities for a bell or horn on the "B" unit.

Isn't that what I wrote?  :)

rogertra

But why would you want bell and airhorn sounds from a B unit?

Most were never equipped with bells and airhorns.

rbryce1

Quote from: rogertra on July 30, 2012, 11:21:03 PM

Yes it is!  You posted it while I was writing mine! :D

richg

Quote from: rbryce1 on July 31, 2012, 08:18:47 AM
Quote from: rogertra on July 30, 2012, 11:21:03 PM

[/quote

Who's on first?

Yes it is!  You posted it while I was writing mine! :D

JRG1951

Could be!
You would want to use it with a dummy A unit or or a DCC powered A unit without sound!
*********************************************************************************************
The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer.  >>  Edward R. Murrow

Limey

JRG1951 you got it right, Ihave an A unit which is DCC ready and I wanted to marry them up and use the B unit sounds.         Hunt,  I have not tried the CV's yet but thanks for the info.  and thanks to all who contributed.       Regards, Limey.

rbryce1

Quote from: JRG1951 on July 31, 2012, 02:09:31 PM
Could be!
You would want to use it with a dummy A unit or or a DCC powered A unit without sound!
*********************************************************************************************
The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer.  >>  Edward R. Murrow

Ya got me there!  There I go thinking about the real trains and not the model trains.  Keep forgetting the model doesn't have an actual engineer in the cab!

I can now see why you would really want that type of setup, and hope programming the CV's does the trick for you!

rogertra

Quote from: rbryce1 on August 02, 2012, 11:19:20 AM
Quote from: JRG1951 on July 31, 2012, 02:09:31 PM
Could be!

Ya got me there!  There I go thinking about the real trains and not the model trains.  Keep forgetting the model doesn't have an actual engineer in the cab!

I can now see why you would really want that type of setup, and hope programming the CV's does the trick for you!

Yes, now it makes sense.  Would have been clearer if you'd stated that in the first place.  :)

electrical whiz kid

Most "B" units were able to be operated by themselves, but these movements were pretty much confined to the servicing facility.  Operation was accomplished by a hostler looking out of the portholes (opened) and working with the crew at hand.
RIch C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on August 02, 2012, 07:45:56 PM
Most "B" units were able to be operated by themselves, but these movements were pretty much confined to the servicing facility.  Operation was accomplished by a hostler looking out of the portholes (opened) and working with the crew at hand.
RIch C.

Called the "Hostler" controls.  Simple throttle and a brake.