News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc

Started by patjerry, August 06, 2012, 03:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patjerry

Hello I bought a Bachmann DCC E-Z Command and  3- E-Z command Decoders, 8-wire. the problem is the instructions to the Decoder are very vaege but the color codes are there.  I have 1-Bachmann and 2-Anthern engines that I want to install these decoders into but I want to besure of what i'm doing. all of the web sites show a plug in type chip to a circut board. none of my engines have a board in them. the E-Z decoder I have has all color code wires that the instructions tell where they go to. Guestion is, do I need a circut board, or can I solder these in where they go??  I don't want to destroy anything .. Jerry

richg

Cut the plugs off the decoder wires. Solder the wires. Just follow the instructions. Standard NMRA wiring colors.
From all that I have seen, a PC board with no connector will have eight tabs with a number next to each tab.
What type locos do you have?
Try to give more details in a question.
I would make an effort to do a lot more study of basic DCC before you go much further into this.

Rich

patjerry

hi riche, the engines are 1-bachmann FT 1 with the lead frame work around the motor..   2 anthern GP-35.  Now the decoders have 8 wires and no plug's at the end of the wireing harness.  does this help?  jerry

JRG1951

Here is a You Tube video for an Athearn install, This may give you an idea of what is involved,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKF7U3ccnco

Digitrax makes a wiring install kit for Athearn, these may make it a bit easier.

Warnings:

1. The old Athearn Blue box motors were amp hogs. The decoder should be rated for 1.5 amps continuous.

2. Some of  the non-DCC Bachmann and Athearn use the frame for one side of the circuit to the motor. In these cases the motor will need to be isolated from ground

Good Luck
John
*******************************************************************************************
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.  >> Yogi Berra

richg

Is the Bachmann  motor on one end on a truck or in the center of the loco and connected to each truck via a drive-shaft?

Rich

patjerry

Richg. thanks for all the info.. the bauchmann is a center motor with fiywheels

richg

If this is what I think it is, there should be a PC board on top of the frame with the wire connections and a light on each end.
You will have to hard wire a decoder. No idea on what the PC board would look like if there is one.
Some had the motor wires to each part of the frame and have to be disconnected from the frame. Look the loco over very carefully.
A photo of what your loco looks like would be a great help. You need to post more details. A lot of installs are not plug and play for locos that are not DCC ready and a few that say DCC ready, sometimes are not really ready.
Also, you need to know how to solder and insulate the connections.

Rich

patjerry

Richg there is no circut board. and i'm been soldering and insulating for 40 years.  WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, CAN I INSTALL THIS DECODER WITHOUT A CIRCUT BOARD OR DOES IT HAVE CIRCUT'S CONTAINING RESISTOR AND DIODES ON THE BOARD???  I CAN SOLDER THE WIRES TO THE DIAGRAHM LISTING, BUT WILL I FRY THE UNITS??  JERRY         

richg

Ok, that is better. You did not mention before, what your level of experience is with soldering and wiring. Check the motor current at 12 VDC.
If say around 600 to 700 ma, splice in the decoder following the instructions for DCC.
If the loco has light bulbs, no resistor needed. I think I would use a 20 ohm , 1/2 watt resistor to cut back on the voltage to the light bulb. Light bulbs rated for 12 VDC can get quite hot because the bulb will always have 12 VDC to it and you will have longer life for the bulb. Some have started to melt a plastic shell.
Since there is no PC board, your loco does not have LED's from what I can see.
When the loco was running under DC, the voltage to the bulb never got to full voltage.
Get some small shrink tubing to insulate the splice connections.
I have put a decoder into the Bachmann Plymouth which has the pancake motor and light bulbs. I just followed the NMRA wiring instructions.
Should not be a problem for you and by the way, you do not have to yell. I had very little info from you to go on.

Rich

patjerry

RICHG, Sorry if it reads of loud voise but i'v been trying to get a answer for over a week from other fourms and Bachmann' every body talks of a circut board...  thanks for the info and i'll try it out tomorrow.  let you know if it works out or honey-doos get in the way..  Jerry

richg

I belong to  few forums and some seem reluctant to comment on the older Bachmann diesels for DCC.

Many think the older Bachmann locos are not worth the effort and I know some are not.

Some still think Bachmann locos in general are not very good because of all the bad press Bachmann has got in the past. Old habits die hard.

What I see a lot is, for non DCC ready, measure the DC current at 12 VDC and make sure the motor contacts are isolated. Some brands of locos, each motor brush is connected to the motor frame half and loco frame half. I have one like that.

With Bachmann locos, usually just a short wire to the frame from each motor brush.
Make sure all drivers pickup in diesels and wheels for steamer tenders.
Many decoders are 1.0 amp for motor and lights. Some brands, 1.5 amps.

Rich

patjerry

Well I took everybodys advice and it sure worked out just fine, no problems on the Bachmann engine, except-- no light when connected to the decoder wire, which needs 2 (+,-) wires. so tested other senanero's and ended up with the 2 wires connected to the right & left wheel pickups..... So THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO REPLYED.. Also to JRG1951  for the web site to install a decoder into a blue box Anthern engine.    Jerry