News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO MOGUL BEHAVIOR PROBLEM

Started by MarkInLA, August 03, 2012, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi, I recently had to have my HO mogul replaced by Bachmann..This was done swiftly and problem free..New one is alot better but has a slight juttering as it rolls..Last night for first time I got bold and went into its motor CVs to attempt smoothing out motor via kick rate and 3-4 other actions using NCE POWER CAB..I botched something because now she does seem a bit smoother (although I suspect it's drive-train related as was first loco, not programing). But now loco's chuffs are ,if any, one for every say, 10-15 wheel revolutions..All idling sounds are present and headlight. But, after using 'system refresh' and or' loco refresh' plus 'off/on 6 second' move and other moves, chuffs still won't come back on..What am I missing ?  It's not the button 8 'mute-on' either !! Also, if juttering IS physical, should I replace IT, too ? Do those in forum who own one have no complaints ? It even got a great review in MRR Mag ..         Mark

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

To get the chuffing sounds back to almost in sync with the drive wheels, adjust the chuff rate first. If that doesn't work, reset the decoder by setting CV 8 to a value of 8 as stated in the directions for Tsunami sound decoders. Otherwise contact the Bachmann service department and see if they know what might be the problem.

MarkInLA

Yes, I also did set CV 8 to 8. Still nothing ! Not sure how to set chuff rate..perhaps this is what I inadvertently messed up whilst making uneducated attempts in 'program on the main' scroll to ' 4-motor', etc. Thanks for so fast a reply...I'll look for your possible next one...Mark 

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

No problem. I have been in the hobby for a while and have a sound equipped engine from Bachmann myself. And as far as programming on the main, any controller should be able to handle it. I had a Bachmann EZ-Command 10 address DCC system when I got into HO and I had no trouble programming on the main with that. I currently use an MRC Prodigy Express and it has a program on the main option when programming engines. I don't know about the NCE DCC systems but I would look in the manual for the controller to see if it has the ability to program on the main. And for programming the exhaust chuff rate use CV 116 and this formula to calculate the CV setting you need (between 0 and 255)
                             SPD
CV Value=115.9X ------ X Gear Ratio         
                             DIA
SPD is the Scale top speed of the engine in question and DIA is driver diameter in scale inches.

And again if all else fails contact the Bachmann Service department.