News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler height on Bachmann tenders

Started by Joe323, July 28, 2012, 05:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I have noticed that the coupler height on both my 2-6-2 Prarie and 0-6-0 slopeback are too low compared to the rolling stock they pull is this common on a lot of Bachmann tenders and what coupler should i replace the stock coupler with?

richg

Quote from: Joe323 on July 28, 2012, 05:59:31 PM
I have noticed that the coupler height on both my 2-6-2 Prarie and 0-6-0 slopeback are too low compared to the rolling stock they pull is this common on a lot of Bachmann tenders and what coupler should i replace the stock coupler with?

How do the couplers compare to a height gauge, not the rest of your rolling stock?
You did not mention anything about using a height gauge.
Proper height should only reference to a height gauge.
No idea about all Bachmann tenders.
It is common practice for many to replace with Kadee and adjust the coupler height with a Kadee coupler height gauge.
Sometimes, I lower a coupler with thin styrene if that is ever an issue.
I also use two different Kadee thickness washers for raising a rolling stock.

Rich

jonathan

Joe,

have not had the height issue you mention on any of my Bachmann Locos, including the little USRA switchers.

I replace all the couplers with Kadee #158 Scalehead Whisker Spring Couplers.  I have to file down the metal shanks, on both sides, just a bit, so the couplers will swing freely.  I check the height AFTER I've replaced the couplers.

The EZ Mate couplers may seem a bit low because they can hang down just a skosh in the draft gear boxes.

If yours measure a little low, it is certainly possible to add Kadee washers to raise the tender up.

Regards,

Jonathan

blf

Hi all; When I have a coupler height problem, I first try to shim up the coupler by gluing styrene shims to the bottom cover of the box until the coupler starts to bind. Then try to file the shank a bit. If all this fails, the last resort is to use shims. If too high I machine the bolster down using a drill press with a cutter in the chuck. I use different thickness of styrene and bond paper under the supporting block, as there is no adjustments on this type of milling operation. Have discovered that there is a difference in truck bolster heights between trucks of even the same brand. In other words, if you get every thing prefect, then remove trucks to paint the car and switch them , nothing lines up any more with the gauge. This will drive you nuts!!!!! until you mark the truck on the B end of the car so you get the same truck on the same end you originally set it to align with the gauge. Spent many hours in total pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, till I discovered this. Yes I'm now bald and not because I'm 70. Bill

Joe323

Actually I do have an nmra gauge which measures coupler height.  Jonathan. was right the coupler was hanging too low. I corrected this by filing the coupler box a bit. problem solved.

electrical whiz kid

General Info:
kadee has a product in it's line that are coupler shims.  These can be just what the doctor ordered.

Joe323

I am now aware of kadees offerings. I checked my rolling stock with the nmra gauge but i would like to double check with a kadee guage.  I should be able to find one next week at the Greenburg train show in Edison along with the coupler shims.  I would change the couplers to Kadee except that I have a lot if EZ Mate II couplers and they work fine on the short trains I run. No more than 6 cars.

bmjcook

Quote from: Joe323 on July 29, 2012, 12:49:25 PM
Actually I do have an nmra gauge which measures coupler height.  Jonathan. was right the coupler was hanging too low. I corrected this by filing the coupler box a bit. problem solved.
Gidday
                           to raise the height of the coupler I use the Kadee undershank coupler and to lower the height I use the overshank coupler
                                                                                   Cookie