News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger train lighting

Started by rbryce1, August 09, 2012, 11:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

I have all the McKinley Explorer (new set) of passenger cars.  Each car has a light bar inside, and they receive power from track power in DCC mode, so the lights are always on if there is track power available.

Question to the group:

If I install mobile decoders in each car and only connect the red/black to track power and the blue & white for lighting to the light bar, can I combine all 4 of the cars with the 2 engines into a consist and turn the lights on & off on all 4 of the cars and the 2 engines all at once with the engine light function key?

Doneldon

rb-

Yes. You will have to program each decoder the same as is you were setting up a locomotive consist. You can save a good deal of money by using a single decoder and electrically connecting the cars. (I wouldn't suggest connecting them to the locos as there are likely to be times when you'll want to send your locos to service without the cars.) If you do this, be sure to use very flexible wire between the cars. A plus is that you can use dummy couplers, which look more prototypical than operating couplers and which don't accidentally open up, as long as you leave the train assembled on your layout. This isn't a bad idea for passenger trains generally.
                                                                                                                          -- D

richg

If you want more than one decoder you can get function decoders for about $15.00 each. For lighting only.
Size 11.89mm 21.44mm 4.19mm
Two lighting functions.

Rich

rbryce1

Can a function only decoder like these be inserted into a consist being controlled with a Dynamis throttle?

richg

Quote from: rbryce1 on August 10, 2012, 01:36:59 PM
Can a function only decoder be inserted into a consist?

Since this is not about Bachmann products, I sent you a email with links that should help a lot.

Rich

rbryce1

Actually it is about Bachmann products, as I am concerned about controlling these consists with a Dynamis controller.  Sorry I didn't say that before.  Just amended my post.  I'll check out the e-mail whan I get home.  Thanks.

richg

Ok. Maybe you can post what you do as this might be of interest to others.

Rich

rbryce1

Although at times there may be questions regarding other products and their compatability with Bachmann products, I do agree with your previous post regarding only posting Bachmann questions on this forum and I will be clearer about that in my questions.

I don't think I would like to control all the cars with one decoder, as this would make a lot of difficulty in seperating the cars.  Again, I am modifing the Bachmann McKinley Explorer passenger cars.  These darn cars are long enough as it is (14-15" each) and I can't even imagine trying to lift 2-3 of them at once, or especially store them!   I am willing to buy 4 seperate $15 decoders if it will do the job.  I would like to be able to control each of the 4 cars independently or control the 4 cars as a consist, independent from the engine(s).  That way I can control the engine lights seperate from the passenger cars, and even use different engines with the cars.  Sometimes more flexibility costs a little more cash!  

I will look into the decoders you suggested.  Thanks,