Columbia 2-4-2 loco smokebox or boiler diameter?

Started by norman, August 12, 2012, 07:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

Hi Wade and Mr. Bachmann:

Could you tell me what is the boiler / smoke box  diameter of the Bachmann Columbia 2-4-2T loco?

Thank you,

Norman

the Bach-man

Dear Norman,
I'm on the road until Wednesday. I'll measure when I get home.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Wade Colyer

Hi Norman:

I used a WP&Y 2-4-2 and got 1.680" behind the stack on the smoke box. The boiler has a slight taper. I got 1.690" between the bell and first sand dome and 1.720" between the steam dome and the second sand dome.

Wade

norman

Thank you Wade and Mr. Bachmann.

I plan to build a 0-4-2T loco and a 2-4-4T loco using the components of two Bachmann 2-4-2 locos.

I guess that as Bachmann trains now builds in 1:20.3 scale exclusively for new product then these little locos are not likely to be a future product from Bachmann Trains.

I understand why as many hobbyists expect a 2-4-2 locomotive model to haul the equivalent of a Big Boy locomotive model or they are disappointed and the model does not sell.

Well, at least these old 2-4-2 locomotives are still available for those interested in modelling sugar cane industry locos.

Here is a link to an amusement park Lee Riley may be interested in visiting for inspiration of future models.

http://www.cplerr.com/SSSMissMaud.html , present day Disneyland Ward Kimball locomotive

Norman

Dave

Hi Norman, I converted a 2-4-2T into a 2-4-4T with moderate ease. I extended the Coal Bunker approx 1/2" and used a "New Bright" Freight Truck under the cab. I fitted constant lighting and used a small Trail Car to house the Batteries, Revolution Rx and sound card, it chuffs only. I use it to haul my Maintenance Train around, which consists of a Ballast/ Track cleaning car and a Track repair car. It goes ok, not brilliant, but very functional and adds to a variety of operational equipment.

Dave
              New Zealand

norman

Hi Dave:

Are you able to post any photos of your model?

Thank you,

Norman

Dave

I would like to be able to post a few photos but I havnt any idea how to do it.  You can send me an Email if you wish and I will reply with a photo or two.

Dave

norman

Dear Mr. Bachmann and Dave:

Dave, I sent you my email address. Thank you.

Mr. Bachmann the Indy loco reconfigured as a 2-4-4 loco is almost an exact model of Disneyland loco No 5.

I understand new molds would be required so my guess is the Indy rebuilt as a 2-4-4T loco is not likely.

I guess cutting up models and building a new locomotive is what model railroading ( modeling ) is all about!

At least the Bachmann models provide a source of parts for those interested in building such a loco.

Really seems odd to me that Bachmann had not also produced a 2-4-4T following the 2-4-2 Columbia loco.

Thank you,
Norman