News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tool Car Project

Started by jonathan, August 14, 2012, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

For once, I'm not modifying a Bachmann Locomotive.  It was time I start working on some interesting rolling stock for my railroad.  This is a Scale Tool Car; a model that does not exist in plastic or brass (no B&O car anyway).

I took a 40ft wooden box car (maker does not matter) and chopped it up so only the roof and underframe went untouched.  I made the ends, vestibule and inner walls from Evergreen HO wood siding.  This is as close to scrathbuilt as I can get so far.  Call it a scratch-bash I guess.

What follows are progress photos of the build. I hope to finish the car by the end of the week.

The rough/distressed nature of the sides are intentional because:

1. These cars were made from M-15J box cars built between 1916-1923 IIRC.  

2. They were modified several times and used heavily over a period of decades.

3.  As non-revenue cars, they didn't receive the same attention as money-making cars.

Hence, I will be weathering the car heavily.  Will post the final pix when done.

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

As always Jonathan your work is outstanding. Of special note are your photographic abilities...'gives us a good idea of what you are writing. There is a manufacturer (whose name has slipped through this colander I use as a brain bucket) who makes an overlay kit to convert Accurail reefers (I think) to MOW cars.

I can see this will be a really nice addition to your 'fleet'.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Thanks, Ray, for your kind words.  :)

Copyright rules prevent me from posting a photo of the prototype.  Suffice to say, I took a little artistic license in a couple areas, due to lack of parts.  However, XM-3037 did exist once upon a time. It's always helpful to have some photos as a go-by.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I found a prototype photo in a Google search.

http://tinyurl.com/bsp4xra

Rich

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Doneldon

jonathan

Thanks, guys.

Here's some close ups.  The camera becomes a tool.  When I get up close, I can find the little errors, that you otherwise would not see:

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Jonathan - If anyone finds errors here they must be using a microscope as a vision aid. Your work is fantastic. Have you considered moving to Northeastern Alabama so I can learn from you?

Inspirational,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Great work.
I have found the same with my modeling when I took some photos.
Now you need a scale car.
Wish I could do more like this. My last was a HO scale 0-8-0, B&O Winans Camel.

Rich

jonathan

Thanks, again.

Some of my friends are from LA (Lower Alabama). Perhaps I'll make it that way someday.  :)  When I refer to 'errors', I mean the artistic license I sometimes take when building.  To the B&O rivet counter, there are a few areas that don't follow the prototype.  For me, it's close enough.

In fact, I have just started building a scale test car to go with the tool car.  Then I have to build a track scale station.  Been taking measurements to see where I can squeeze in a small structure on a siding or in my yard.  I think I did this backwards.  ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Just to finish off this topic...

Here's the scale test car to go with the tool car.

It was originally a Southern Pacific car.  I had to remove the markings, remark it for B&O and did a little detail painting as well.  Notice the red couplers and yellow trim.

By the way, try finding an "X" in your extra decal supply.  They are as rare as chicken teeth.  I had to buy a roman lettering sheet just to get the X's.

Regards,

Jonathan

This model is so tiny, I thought I was working in N Scale!

J3a-614

Been a little busy to post as much as I might normally do, but again, this is looks great, as always!  Wish I could get to working on something for myself.

Mostly have the locomotives I would need, though I could use some more passenger engines (all STEAM, of course, including J3 and J3a 4-8-4s), and need more passenger cars and, for modeling the C&O, need more and more and more hopper cars--and it figures the C&O would use an AAR Alternate design that no one makes.

Hmm, a number of other roads like the Illinois Central used that AAR Alternate design, hint, hint, the model could come with either plain or arched ends, anyone who would use them would need a lot of them, hint, hint. . .

RAM

As your decals say, it must be hauled on the rear of the train.  Remember this was back when all trains had a caboose on the end.  In today's world I guess it would be the next to last car.  I don't know if this type of test cars are still used, it has been a long time since I have seen one.   Anyone up to date on these.  By the way nice job of both cars.

Woody Elmore

Jon - more great work. You make what you do look easy. What's next? You've been working on freight cars - maybe we'll see you kitbash some passenger cars into accurate B&O configurations.

Once again - phenomonal job (and nobody except you would have missed the little "x"if you left it off!)

jonathan

Well... this is a case of a simple car-building project that turned into a whole new scenery, and operational, element for my layout.

This is a new track scale area in my yard.  I had to rip up the trackage and move things around a bit to get the scale to fit.  However, the scale and structure are quite small.  They woud fit on even the smallest shelf layout.  This portion of my layout is only 9.5 inches wide.

Thanks, Woody, RAM, J3a et al, for being so kind on your comments.  Hopefully this project is now done and I can let go of the thread.  BTW you may see a big Bachmann product in the background.  I'm just sayin'   ;D

Reagrds,

Jonathan