News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Booster

Started by djp, August 03, 2007, 06:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Hey there guys, does anyone own the Bachmann 5A power booster. If you do could you tell me the weight of it. I have to ship it all the way to India so i don't want to end up spending more on the shipping than the cost of the booster. Furthermore, do any of you electronic wizards know of a way to make something to help boost the amps to the track. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

r.cprmier

If you want to increase power to a load, you generally use a transformer. 
Transformer, in this case, is a device that induces current flow via potential (primary) from one set of windings across asecond set(secondary) of windings.

Simplistically, and Without going into a lot of detail, the more winding in series, the higher the voltage is achieved; the more windings in parallel, the greater the current would be; however, this leaves a lot unexplained.

To get a more comprehensive explanation (and I urge you to do so if you are going to go messing with this stuff), go to your local library.  For openers, Audel's books are pretty easy to understand, and one source I would recommend.

Good Luck, and don't forget:  handling this stuff the wrong way can make you dead in one hell of a hurry!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

NelsOn-30

djp
As far as I know a transformer changes voltage and is used primarily with alternating current. More current available at lower voltage or less current at higher voltage (same power). A DCC booster increases available (power) current at the same track voltage using a seperate power source. I have heard of using a high quality audio amplifier but starting from scratch a booster is probably your best solution. Depending on your input (wall) voltage the US @ 120 volts or the British @240 volts could best suit your needs. Sorry I dont have one to weigh.
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

mf5117

hello everyone ... i am thinking of buying the 5 amp power booster . i have 2 main lines 18" rad inner and 22" rad outter main lines . i can run the ft-a and the sd-40 usually with no problems . when i bring on my sd-40-2 it will make 4 or 5 times around the layout .it is a 4x8ft  and then everything will stop . like an emergency stop . i checked the track and clean it regularly . i have ran all 5 at the same time bringing on my ge-70 tonner working him in and out of turn outs . all the engines seem to run fine .at some points in operation .everything comes to a sudden stop .might this be caused by the internal overload in the bachmann dcc controller . i have feeder wires going to both inner and outter mainlines .and wondering if i might need to get the added power for for running multipal trains ...i do understand and did read the instructions and said the dcc controller will run 2 trains with no problems . the sd-40-2 seems to be a heavier engine .and is there anyway to check the amp draw when operating ....
regards mark f   

mf5117

1 more ? i may also upgrade my controller. and have seen some dcc controllers with the added amperage .which one would you all recommend .and would it be better to buy the booster . everyone at the shops around here have recommended the prodigy  or digi-trax controller .

jowalmer

mf5117, would it be better to post your questions in a new thread?

Yampa Bob

"djp" is concerned about the weight of the booster. Does anyone have one they could conveniently weigh?

Thanks
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Has he had to wait that long for an answer?

Yampa Bob

Well, at least Mark used the search feature. (or enjoys digging through the archives)  :D

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Phough5757