News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What have I got and how do I fix it?

Started by ScobeyLarry, August 21, 2012, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScobeyLarry

I have an old Santa Fe Super Chief, both sets of wheels are driven.  1: Is it an F7, F9, FT??  2:  The front drive is kaput so I need to buy  a new truck, but since I don't know what I have I am at a lose.  The closest I can figure out, is it looks like a power truck for the GP30.  We're just getting started with a new club and road.  Neither one of us know a lot about HO,  so any assistance will be appreciated.  Oh yes, we are located in the middle of Mississippi and there are now train stores closer than 125 miles away.

Thank,
Larry

dpcubed

How old? what are the internals like? If its a newer worm gear driven setup it can be worth repairing and dcc install if it has sentimental value, if its a lot older its probably not worth the effort.

Just because a train is out of a set doesnt mean its only for tossing, I have a union pacific f9 from one of bachmanns sets that is one of my best runners and got a dcc decoder for the main layout because I enjoy running the unit.

If its the unit from this set http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Superchief-Train-Set-Santa/dp/B0006KSLD2/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt its an f7. When you say the front truck is kaput, what do you mean? wheels gone, gears shot, pickup not working? Depending on which part of the front truck is kaput, you will need to replace that part, your local lhs should have replacement wheels and gears or should be able to get them relatively quickly.

jward

that is not an f7, it is an ft. the f7s and f9s had two portholes on the side, the fts had 4.

can we get a photo posted of the locomotive in question? it would help us identify it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

sd24b

Quote from: ScobeyLarry on August 21, 2012, 06:23:48 PM
I have an old Santa Fe Super Chief, both sets of wheels are driven.  1: Is it an F7, F9, FT??  2:  The front drive is kaput so I need to buy  a new truck, but since I don't know what I have I am at a lose.  The closest I can figure out, is it looks like a power truck for the GP30.  We're just getting started with a new club and road.  Neither one of us know a lot about HO,  so any assistance will be appreciated.  Oh yes, we are located in the middle of Mississippi and there are now train stores closer than 125 miles away.

Thank,
Larry
is the frame metal or plastic.  Many years ago Athearn produced engines and cars for Cox.  And those parts may be available. 
Also, are their traction tires on the locomotive.  If so then scrapping would be the easiest.   Phil

ScobeyLarry

It has 4 portholes and a metal frame.  The dogbone bearing on the front truck, that attaches to the frame, is broken.  What would be a good replacement truck?

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA