News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wheel size and couplers types

Started by jackbreadman1, August 23, 2012, 04:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackbreadman1

What size are the wheels on the new rolling stock that comes in the Bachmann sets? I also have about 40 rolling cars and it seems they all have different couplers, some a thin some are thick some are small some are big, but most are knuckle type couplers so I think I am going to convert them all to one type of coupler, does anybody have an idea on what type would work best and where can I get them?   thanks for you other post. Jack

Jerrys HO

Here is one post, there are many others just go to the search button at the top of the page.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21106.0.html

Jerry

jackbreadman1

thank you for your assistance, I decided to buy some 33 and 36 and see which work best.  I also have a mixture of different type couplers, they all look like knuckle couplers but some are small and some are big and some a thin and some are thick, I think I will order one brand and replace them all, so what brand would be the best one for me to change the couplers on 40 rolling stock cars?

Doneldon

Jack-

Your observation that there are several similar types of knuckle couplers around is spot on. Most couple with others fairly well but Model Railroader found that there are some compatibility issues, most notably when attempting to couple cars on curves. There are near-universal problems with couplers being overly large; to my knowledge, only the so-called "scale" Kadee couplers try to remedy this.

You are likely to have the best experience if all of your couplers are from the same manufacturer. That said, go with the best: Kadee. (You'll find all sorts of misspellings and attempted abbreviations of the name, some almost indecipherable, but the correct name is "Kadee.") Kadee held the patents on operating knuckle couplers for decades and others on the market are basically imitations now that those patents have expired. With their years of experience and an enormous number of specific sizes and styles which permit mounting their couplers on just about anything, Kadee couplers are the choice of a large majority of serious model railroaders who operate their trains and who demand reliable coupling.

Kadee's scale couplers go a long way towards providing prototypical appearance but there aren't as many custom shapes and sizes as with the regular Kadee offerings. If scale appearance is critical for you, and especially if you plan to run trains rather than operate them with lots of coupling and uncoupling, consider "dummy" couplers. These have a genuinely prototypical appearance and size; the down side is that you must physically handle your rolling stock to do coupling chores. This isn't an issue for hobbyists who plan to leave trains assembled but it is for those who plan to couple and uncouple. However, many operators leave passenger trains assembled, even if they manipulate freight cars. So ... dummy couplers can be a good (and economical) option for passenger trains which are kept as units.

I hope this has been helpful. Welcome to model railroading and this board. I know you will find this to be an engaging and varied passtime, with lots of interesting things to learn and many opportunities for specialization depending on how you prefer to model.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

rogertra

The standard used to be, pre 1965, 33 " wheels on freight cars and 36" wheels on passenger cars.

However, "modern" post 1965 100 ton cars these days usually have 36" wheels.

Intermodal cars may have 28" diameter wheels.

Look at the data printed on the ends of the cars to see if the wheel size is mentioned.

electrical whiz kid

Rogeerw is right on the money here.  also, I might add that I have, as I build them, been adding Kadee #58 couplers, among the other modifications and upgrades I do..  A lot of the older stuff I have will remain #5, but the newer stuff, especially the craftsman kits like Funaro and Camerlengo, Westerfield et al, shall be built with #58, as well as Kadee 33" wheels.  Keep in mind also that there are basically two types of freight wheels:  ribbed and flat insides.  Ribbed were outlawed on main line (interchange) traffic, I believe, in the late fifties, but could be used on non-interchange such as MOW cars.
RIch 

jackbreadman1

Well I really like to thank everybody who responded to my questions.  I know it is time consuming and I am very happy some of you spent your valuable time to assist me.  I am new at this and every little bit of help is greatly appreciated.  thanks Jack