News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switching to DCC

Started by KDK, August 22, 2012, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDK

I have an N layout with EZ-track.  I would like to switch to DCC to run my locos which are all DCC ready and would also like to have sound.  What is necessary to make the conversion?  Thanks for your help.

poliss

A DCC controller and sound decoders. You need to search the decoder manufacturer websites and stores to see if there are sound decoders for your particular models. If you want to control all the sounds you need something better than the basic DCC controllers.

jward

just wondering how practical sound is in n scale?    there isn't alot of room in many HO locomotives for speakers, an n scale locomotive is about 1/4 the size in practical terms.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

poliss

It's very practical. I have two with sound decoders. You can even get Z scale with sound decoders.

richg

I do know SoundTraxx and LokSound both have N scale sound decoders. Do some research before jumping.
Proper speaker and baffle is important. Sound decoders can be fine tuned for better sound.
Before asking for "best sound decoder", best depends on what a user hears.

Rich

richg

By the way, don't forget there is a N scale forum.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on August 22, 2012, 01:53:04 PM
just wondering how practical sound is in n scale?    there isn't alot of room in many HO locomotives for speakers, an n scale locomotive is about 1/4 the size in practical terms.

jeff-

Actually, n-scale is roughly 1/8 the size of HO (87/1603). That said, I share your wondering about the feasibility of sound in such small equipment. I know there are decoders which fit but the speakers have to be tiny. Frankly, a lot of HO sound leaves something to be desired, especially bass sounds like we expect in locomotives. I can't imagine that sound quality is very good in n.
                                                                                                              -- D

poliss

Have you ever heard a sound fitted N scale loco Doneldon? The sound quality in my Big Boy is great.
The sound quality depends on the quality of the decoder, the speaker, it's enclosure and the sound files. You can't really judge by watching Youtube videos. Mine sounds far better in RL than on video.
Here's the Z scale sound loco I was talking about showing what can be done even in the smallest scales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS0vYzT5ddg

Doneldon

Quote from: Hunt on August 22, 2012, 09:42:15 PM
Five speakers and a subwoofer for sound with N scale locomotive.

Hunt-

Well, this sounds pretty good but it isn't exactly sound on board. I would expect much better overall performance than what actual sound on board is capable of producing because the incredible size restrictions aren't applicable. I do, however, have one misgiving: I understand that one needs various componments to make this work, depending on the number of blocks on the railroad, but how about the number of bucks it takes to get up and running. Any idea what this costs?
                                         -- D

Jhanecker2

Thanks  Hunt it would be like having Surround Sound for your layout .  The  aural  range could then be almost up to prototypical levels and frequency.  J2.