News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho conversion

Started by uscgtanker, September 11, 2012, 08:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uscgtanker

I would like to convert a B&O EM1 to a DM&IR yellowstone. I know what to do but need to find parts for the conversion. I need a spare challenger tender, a cab with doors behind the windows with a slant in the front and pilot beam detail. I already have decales for the conversion. but would like some advise.

jonathan

Coastie,

When searching for replacement parts for modifications, I find myself often ordering from Greenway Products.  They have a plethora of brass parts that fit the bill.  I see they have slanted cabs in stock and a number of choices for pilots and pilot details.

Go to their "Builder's Corner" tab (Greenway website).

The DMI&R tenders were those multiple wheel jobbers, almost centipede-like.  Don't know if those trucks, or tender, are available separately.  I suppose eBay might be a place to start.

Being from Minnesota, I have a mild interest in this railroad.  However, as a B&O foamer, I cringe at the thought of chopping up such a B-E-A-utiful locomotive.  Please show us pics when you start the conversion.  Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

wjstix

I seem to recall that back when the non-operating Monogram kit came out someone (perhaps Bowser?) offered a conversion kit to add electrical pickup to the tender.

jonathan

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking one could take the guts out of the Bachmann EM-1 tender and fit those guts into the kit's tender--if one is handy with small parts and a soldering iron.  Again, I cringe.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

You really need an all-weather cab for that loco.  Kemtron used to make one in both brass and styrene that was intended to fit on the old Mantua Mike.  Don't know off-hand if PSC still carries these any more.  Might also check with long-standing train shops like Caboose Hobbies.

JRG1951

Maybe a Bachmann Niagara tender could be modified or at least the running gear fitted to the Monogram kit tender.

John
*******************************************************************************************
The Lord prefers common-looking people. That is the reason that He makes so many of them. >> Abraham Lincoln

uscgtanker

Well Being my first year of college i don't have that much cash to spend on anything but will save up and keep trying.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: ebtnut on September 11, 2012, 12:51:37 PM
You really need an all-weather cab for that loco.  Kemtron used to make one in both brass and styrene that was intended to fit on the old Mantua Mike.  Don't know off-hand if PSC still carries these any more.  Might also check with long-standing train shops like Caboose Hobbies.

They do have all-weather cabs, they're just made to order. Just allow a few weeks for the parts to be made and shipped out