News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

miller engineering signs

Started by rustycoupler, August 24, 2012, 01:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycoupler

My question is if i use the 4804 power adapter and wire this to a terminal strip , one side has dc the other to the signs would this work, the power supply i plan on using is a old cheap 12 volt dc transformer.

Joe Satnik

Dear RC,

Here is an e-bay listing for a 4804 supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Animated-Sign-AC-DC-Power-Converter-Miller-4804-NEW-/180900083000?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a1e7c3538

The specs from this listing show:

Input voltage: 5 to 17 volts, AC or DC

12 V DC falls within that spec. 

You could use either the DC track output as you propose, or the AC accessories output from the same power pack, if it has one. 

Note:  either, or, but not both

I suggest you use the AC Accessories output (if available). 

That would free up the variable track DC for other things, such as variable lighting, or running a spare track loop.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

rusty-

What you propose will have more voltage than you need, and it will burn out your signs. LEDs and Miller Engineering signs use just 4.5 volts which is quite a bit less than your power pack will output on either DC or AC. The adaptor mentioned by Joe Satnik will do the job for your Miller Engineering signs. You can also see if you have any surplus wall warts around the house, like chargers from AWOL cell phones or other electronics, with the proper output.

-- D