News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann crossover

Started by svinson, August 29, 2012, 06:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svinson

I want to install a crossover on my HO layout, a double oval.  Can I run trains in opposite directions on the two tracks simultaneously, or do I need special wiring?

bapguy

If you are using DCC you can run the two trains in opposite directions. If you're using DC you need special wiring. Either way you will need a throttle for DCC or power pack for DC for each track. DCC is the way to go because it simplfies wiring.  Joe.

vern1959

What a coincidence,svinson,I'm doing that right now! Using Bachmann E-Z track on the outer loop (code 100 rail) and MTH RealTrax on the inner loop (code 83 rail). Had to shim the MTH track to the crossover and it works well but will probably replace the inner loop with more Bachmann E-Z trax for uniformity. Running DCC with Dynamis controller no special wiring needed. Two trains running against each other on a double oval does look cool give it a try!
   Vern

svinson

Thanks, Vern.  I should have specified that most of my trains are DC.  Good luck with your layout.

Sterling

Joe Satnik

Dear Sterling,

Significant modifications (cuts) have to be made to the 44575 left and 44576 right crossovers to work in DC-Block mode. 

Previously, David Harrison's excellent Acela Express website showed how to make the necessary rail and foil cuts

to allow the inner and outer loops to be electrically isolated from one another.

Unfortunately, the link to his website no longer works.

I have sent an e-mail to David.  Hopefully we'll have access soon. 

In the mean time, you could look over this thread:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17551.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Len

Modifying these turnouts for use on DC layouts has been an issue since the day they first came out. Bachmann needs to have clear instructions on how to do the modification on their own web site. It's their product for gosh sakes!

Or even better, it needs to be redesigned with the gaps already in place so it's usable by everyone. It's easy enough to jumper between loops if you're operating in a DCC only enviroments and don't need them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.