Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tool Car Project

Started by jonathan, August 14, 2012, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Looks  Totally Awesome !!!  J2.

ryeguyisme

Jonathan, great work, I wonder what you'll do next.

How about a troop train, with troop sleepers and kitchen cars and flatcars with tanks, jeeps and halftracks?

rogertra

Excellent work Jonathan.

If I may suggest, a little weathering would really bring everything to life.

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
THat is one heck of a good job !  Excellent atention paid to detail and finish.  Keep up the good work.  A worthy addition to your work train would probably be the boom car and wrecker by Tichy. 
Rich

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Thanks, gents.

Working on the weathering.  Weathering structures makes me nervous.

I have a good friend who models only military trains.  I'll leave that to him.

I do have a Roco boom car, that is a really nice car.  Thought about getting one of those caboose/flat car things, to go with it, but it don't know how prototypical they are.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

The half-flats or flatcars which are sold with most cranes are prototypical. They were necessary to keep the boom from striking any kind of house car coupled next to the crane. The half flats with a shed on the distant end were very common as they provided a secure place to store parts and materials needed by the crane (hardware and lubricants), and a place for the crane operator to ride to work if the MOW train included no crew accommodations. You still see this set up today though wrecker trains are less common now due to better engineering and construction materials.

I have no misgivings about your ability to weather models as I've seen several examples of your outstanding work. Don't be afraid to weather heavily, almost destructively. The maintenance of MOW equipment was/is laughable.
                                                                                                                      -- D

ryeguyisme

Jonathan, does your good friend know a good source for Ho scale US WWII tanks, halftracks and jeeps for flatcar loads???

jonathan

Rye,

My friend uses all the usual supply places.  And Yes, US Army WWII models in HO Scale are very, very hard to find... and pricey when found.  Sherman Tanks are especially rare.  But they are out there.  He has been collecting them for over 20 years.

Regards,

Jonathan