News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 44 tonner

Started by old.duffer, September 04, 2012, 01:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old.duffer

I have a Bachmann GE 44 tonner that runs good but is exceptionally noisy.  The drive gears are clean and have been lubricated.  Upon close inspection (as close as my old eyesight permits) it appears that the axles/wheels may be out of square.  On both trucks, one set of wheels seems to be "bouncing" or rotating in an oval pattern.
Is there a recommended fix for this problem? Are there replacements available?
I like the loco and have a place on my layout for a light duty industrial switcher, but the noise is certainly unattractive and un-prototypical.

Joe W.

Tom M.

From the condition you describe, I suspect you may have cracked axle gears on those wheelsets that are bouncing.  This can also cause excessive noise.  You don't say, but do you have one of the newer single motor units or one of the older models with a motor in each truck?  I've had cracked gears in both types.  The most recent replacements being sold by Bachmann finally appear to have corrected the problem.

Tom

old.duffer

Tom,
Thanks for the quick response.  This unit is a Spectrum with two motors and DC.  I don't know the date of mfgr.  Bought it for cheap on Ebay.  I may go ahead and pull the gears to see if they are cracked.  If I can establish that one or both are cracked, I will order new gears.

Have had the motor units off the frame, but have not attempted to pull the gears.  Anything I should know before I try? 

Thanks again.

Joe

richg

Two motor 44 ton.

Rich

richg

Go look at the loco diagram in the HO standard line. This loco is no longer in the Spectrum line. You will see the difference.
Send the loco back and Bachmann will send a single motor version.
I did that on time with a dual motor that had a cracked gear. Yes, I got mine off of ebay also.
This is not unusual.

Rich