News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New engine is sluggish

Started by Mark FL, October 03, 2012, 06:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

I have just bought a Bachmann G30 diesel. (HO scale) I programed it just as I have my other engines but this new (unused) engine seems to be very sluggish. It starts off very slowly ( sits and hums) then after a few seconds will get up to speed. When it climbs my ramp on my layout (2%) it struggles to get up the incline. My other engines will go up the incline with no issues. My question is, Did I set up the engine incorrectly? Or is there an issue with the Engine?

Jerrys HO

Mark
It could be the engine but I would try first setting up a circle or oval and run the loco for a while in forward then reverse. I had one that was a little slow out the box and that cured it.
Grades are not very good to break in a new loco.
Jerry

Doneldon

Mark-

Also, run your loco both clockwise and counterclockwise in both directions so the
loco has a chance to negotiate right and left curves in both directions.
                                                                                                              -- D

NarrowMinded

The first thing I would do is reset the decoder to factory default setting then test it, if its still slugish I would do the break in as mentioned,

Eitherway it does need a proper break-in to run well,

Lastly look very closely at the wheels to make sure they are all turning.

NM-Jeff

jward

it sounds tome like the momentum has been reset to a slower acceleration rate.  a factory default reset should put it back to normal.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Mark FL

Thank you for all the responses. I will give these ideas a try.

Jerrys HO

Mark

Both Jeff's are the first way to go then if it is still the same try my suggestion forward (clockwise?) reverse (counterclockwise?)

Jerry