News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Consoldation Problem

Started by Sawmill Guy, September 16, 2012, 07:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawmill Guy

Hello Folks,

This is my very first time on a message board.  I'm retired and have had a layout for twelve years.  I model a freelance HO layout named Sierra Pacific.

I have eight Bachmann Consolidations and am starting to service them.  I took the under frame with the driver contacts off the bottom of one of them to lube the gear on the driver.   I can't get it back on with out bending the electrical contacts.  Is there a trick to doing this?

I enjoy reading the message board.

Regards,
Dave

GN.2-6-8-0

Yeah those fine bronze contact are a real pain in the butt just hate'm . you don't say your age but for me a set of opti visor magnifiers helps.......that with a lot of patience...
Rocky Lives

jonathan

Ah yes, the love-hate relationship with bronze pick up brushes.  They are delicate, but work so well.

I attack the problem a little differently.  I take off the shell, then remove the motor assembly and clean/lube the parts, keeping the lower wheel assembly together.  This allows you access to the main gear, and delicate parts, without having to take off the wheel cover plate.  More screws to deal with, but less chance of doing damage to those brushes.

However, I have taken off the plate in the past.  I find a straight pin is a good tool for guiding the brushes back into position while lowering the plate back into position.  As GN 2-6-8-0 mentioned, I do all this under a magnifying glass.  My eyes aren't what they use to be.

Regards,

Jonathan

Sawmill Guy

Thanks for the suggestions.  I messed up the contacts so bad I had to order a new board.  I do use an Opti Visor and can see alright, however can't seem to get those little contacts to go behind the drivers at the same time.  It looks like I'll get another chance soon!  On my other Consolidations I will try from the top down.

Are there any books that give a 1,2,3 on taking apart Bachmann Steam Engines?  I have mastered diesels but still a bit afraid of the steamers.

Regards,
Dave

jonathan

Sawmill Guy,

Here's a link to a thread I posted a couple of years ago.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13232.0.html

This discusses how to disassemble a Connie and lubricate the worm and main gear.

I am not an authority on the subject, but this works for me.  I have 5 of the 2-8-0s. Each one has been completely broken down and modified to some degree. My latest project is almost done. I've added a working reverse light, changed the sandbox and steam dome, moved other appliances and so on. These locos are among the best running/pulling products that Bachmann has ever made. They are the most used locomotives on my roster. They run and run and run. Love 'em.

I have replaced the drive belt on two Connies as the belts were split from the factory. Not the easiest fix, but an inexpensive repair.

I try to avoid touching the pick up brushes, other than to pick out the fuzz that occasionally builds up over time.

Regards,

Jonathan