News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound decoder

Started by sawdown, July 31, 2007, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdown

I have an SD-45 that came equipped with a basic decoder. I would like to change this for a sound equipped decoder.  What brand/type of decoder should I get?

Thanks

Troy

Jim Banner

Troy, that is a little bit like asking "What kind of shoes should I buy?"

First off, the shoes have to fit.  So does a sound decoder.  Maybe you will have to trim a little here and there inside the locomotive to make room, but if you cannot fit it in, then it isn't much good to you.

Second, it has to suit the application.  No good buying a fine pair of Brogans to wear on the basketball court.  An SD-45 should sound like an SD-45 or at least like a diesel.  Not much use buying a decoder that sound like, say, a steam docksider.  Not all manufacturers make all the possible decoders to fit all of every manufacturers' locomotives.

Third, it has to be affordable.  While I might like a pair of Gucci shoes, maybe the budget will only afford a pair of Nike's.  The best sound system in the world is of no use to you if you cannot afford it.

Keep these three requirements in mind as you search the manufacturers for a suitable sound decoder.  If you can confirm who manufactured your SD-45, then perhaps someone who has installed a decoder in that brand can tell you what worked for them.  I am guessing Bachmann, but confirmation would help.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

Troy;
As an addition to Jim's feedback, you might start your quest at "Tony's trains" www.tonystrains.com, or just simply call.  They are extremely helpful-and a great place to do business in this dept.  Check their site first, though, and they might be able to answer your questions there.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

sawdown

Thanks for the replies.

First, yes it is a Bachmann and yes I have been looking at all the diesel decoders (and they're prices).  I'm not looking for top of the line, just something I can afford.

Second, I posted my question here hoping someone from Bachmann would respond with knowledge of what is in this loco. And whether I can add a sound decoder or if I have to replace the existing decoder with a full functioning decoder, and also what models would fit in the loco.

SteamGene

Again - check Tony's.  He has lists of what decoder for what loco by model builder.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Frankford el car

While on the subject of sound decoders, how about some for traction applications? I know that other than gear whine from the traction motors, most trolleys and subway trains don't generate much noise, other than from the wheels. But that lack of noise from a diesel engine, or steam pistons, leaves an opening for applications such as a bell on streetcars, or trolley whistles on older pre-1940 subway trains, and air horns on those built from 1948 on forward. Some of the current ones have even been equipted with air horns that mimic the trolley whistles, of the pre-1940 cars they replaced.
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

Nigel

Quote from: Frankford el car on August 04, 2007, 12:04:06 AM
While on the subject of sound decoders, how about some for traction applications? I know that other than gear whine from the traction motors, most trolleys and subway trains don't generate much noise, other than from the wheels. But that lack of noise from a diesel engine, or steam pistons, leaves an opening for applications such as a bell on streetcars, or trolley whistles on older pre-1940 subway trains, and air horns on those built from 1948 on forward. Some of the current ones have even been equipted with air horns that mimic the trolley whistles, of the pre-1940 cars they replaced.

LokSound
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955